RAW

Fish stocking a tidal river with 8-10" trout ?

10 posts in this topic

One my favorite rivers has been getting stocked later and later in the spring with small trout. The problem is when????  they stock this year the stripers will be in and enjoy the buffet, Deaf ears, They can stock ponds early April but not this river. It would give the trout time to acclimate and not swim in circles on top to be picked of by stripers, cormorant's etc. . The water is also deeper 

Get some swim baits in trout patterns!

I think 90% of stockies do not make it 1 year no matter where they are put.  Rubbed off fins and such make them easy prey for everthing

1 hour ago, RAW said:

One my favorite rivers has been getting stocked later and later in the spring with small trout. The problem is when????  they stock this year the stripers will be in and enjoy the buffet, Deaf ears, They can stock ponds early April but not this river. It would give the trout time to acclimate and not swim in circles on top to be picked of by stripers, cormorant's etc. . The water is also deeper 

Enjoy it. Great find.

I follow the bass that follow the shad and then turn their attention to cooler waters and the stocked trout.

Works for me.

10 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Get some swim baits in trout patterns!

Good idea most of my PB LMB and pickerel all came from waters with stocked trout.

15 hours ago, RAW said:

At least my good cigars arrived and I can watch the "Trout getting eaten frenzy":rav:

It sounds like you should bring two rods with you. One to catch the trout and the other to live line them for stripers. 

6 hours ago, z-man said:

It sounds like you should bring two rods with you. One to catch the trout and the other to live line them for stripers. 

Not legal for CT waters. Don't know where OP is fishing from thou. 

Sucks and makes no sense to me, but thats the way it is. 

Well, they stocked 8" browns, I saw 2 taken on worms under floats. Both were closer to 7" and thin. So tell the stripers the buffet is open.

A fun time for me....

When fingerings are stocked on the high spring water, they hide in the tree roots, bushes and partially submerged vegetation. 

All predators feast here.

Funny how a 10 lb+ sneeks into 8" of water undetected. 

If you don't use a tiny bait, and color maters, no fish for you.

So you bounce that tiny jig to a rod length in front of you and hold till it gets picked up at your feet. Fish are there and they just suck your bait off the bottom. I watch this in amazement. 

Freaking awesome.