PeteA

Rinsing off gear: When, where, how, with what???

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm a kayak dude and have purchased a small spray wash-down

from Homey's a several years ago for less than a sawbuck.

It takes care of all my reels, my cart, my drive, the Hobie and everything else under the sun.

My favorite part is rinsing my feet off from my kayak wet boots to transition to my dry sneakers. 

I've been told it's ghey to have this wash-down....so be it!

When I drive home......I'm happy....:wee:    

Edited by flylikabird

I always intend to rinse things down, sometimes I will do it 3-4 days in a row, then I go two weeks without a thought. I do like a couple drops of sewing machine type earl on the reel handle, bail and shaft, keeps the bird chirping squeaks away, usually once a week or so, particularly if we get lots of rain or the reel gets wet. 

What is Salt-X made of, it gets lots of support but I never trusted stuff with the "X" type name, like now with an improved Formula 7 additive, what the hell is Formula 7?

Anyway, waders might get rinsed twice a year, plugs, maybe once, hooks  and rings are constantly maintained or changed as needed. Rods and reels more often but never enough. I have a lot of 40 year old stuff that looks used but still has life left, namely, Daiwa SS2600 reels, a Surfcaster Plug Bag, a Fisher 9 ft. rod,  Sargent pliers, and some plugs. Pretty much my go to stuff since the late 70's early 80's. Buy best, buy once, buy cheap buy twice.  

Whenever I’m done the trip.  If it’s a one day fish it’s after that.  If I’m on week long fishing trip fishing all day everyday still the end of the trip.  

13 hours ago, ecks said:

Hand pump water squirter right after fishing. Spray reel, reel seat, and rod eyes. Lures also. 

Also works wonders on sandy feet if you've got kids and haven't bought the Weathertech floor mats. :laugh:

I keep a gallon water bottle with a screw on cap in my car and rinse down my gear after most outings. 

I haven’t actually done it, but I’ll probably get a second cap and drill some holes to give it a spray feature. 

Get home, hose down rod & reel and any wet hooks. Put back in the garage or back in truck period. My gear will out live me anyway.

I use conventional reels only and I usually put them in the shower either with me or by themselves and I just run  warm water over them.

you can also spray them down with a high quality spray bottle and adds pinch of dish soap in it to wish away any dirt that may be there.

HH

If you use it in saltwater rinse it off as soon as you can. I even dry around the roller, where the handle connects or any other seam where water can collect and take a while to air dry. I have certainly seen a difference in how long my roller bearings last since making this change many moons ago. 

I run them under the outside spigot when I get home.  From butt to tip, and give the reel a good rinse.  I always tighten my drag down before rinsing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

What is Salt-X made of, it gets lots of support but I never trusted stuff with the "X" type name, like now with an improved Formula 7 additive, what the hell is Formula 7?

I asked the same thing and have never found a good answer.  Salt cannot be removed chemically; you cannot turn it into something else.  There is some evidence that Salt Away, Salt-X, Salt Off and such products are mainly surfactant (something that breaks the surface tension).  That insures the salt rinses away without needing much water flow.

Edited by oc1

12 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

The best I could come up with is that it is a combination of surfactant, as already stated, deionized water, a little dye, and acetic acid (same as vinegar). 

Not sure how accurate this is but good enough for me

Hand held 2 liter spray bottle will get it done at the beach.  If you want a little extra protection add some saltx to bottle.

I’ve had some guys tell me to hardly ever rinse it but hammer some wd40 into it and rinse every now and again.  Also take apart and clean here and there 

On 5/5/2021 at 8:05 PM, tristate said:

I rent an apartment at the shore for 3 months in the fall. My rods and reels are locked on the truck. They get rinsed when it rains or when the windshield is really a mess.  Everything gets a complete tare down after the season. Some of my reels are 15 or 20 years old and going strong. I don’t understand the phobia about splashing with salt water. I knew a girl in high school who’s father told everyone that she hadn’t had sex that she was pregnant because she got splashed, but not with salt water.

Do you happen to still have this girl's number? If so PM me.