PeteA

Rinsing off gear: When, where, how, with what???

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I’m a new weekend warrior surfcaster. Usually early mornings. Just getting a feel for things. I usually wait till I get home and hose down and rinse all my gear off with our garden hose. I’m in a town house so the yard area is a bit tight but has a hose. I work on Sundays and have been toying with the idea of going out for a few hours before work to get a little more time on the water. That would mean all my gear is in the trunk all day without a rinse. I was thinking  of bringing along a 2 gallon, hand pump garden sprayer and rinsing my gear off in the parking lot or at work VS waiting till I get home. Was wondering what you guys use. Also you guys that camp out in 4x4s on the beach. What do you use to rinse off your gear. Thoughts, insights all welcome. 
Thx boys. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

You might to get a bunch of responses like "I let the rain rinse my gear" or "I rinse it once a year"  etc. etc. :p  To each his own.

Personally I prefer to rinse ASAP and the thought of my gear sitting for hours unrinsed makes me anxious...call it OCD, paranoid, whatever...just how it is for me.  The garden sprayer is a perfect idea IMO.  Will you be able to keep the gear out of the hot car and direct sun for the entire day at work?

Edited by FoliFish

Just rinse it all off when you’re done… no need to worry about an extra day in the truck.

I do however understand people who want to rinse their things off right away from the salt build up etc. All personal preference. 

9 mins ago, FoliFish said:

You might to get a bunch of responses like "I let the rain rinse my gear" or "I rinse it once a year"  etc. etc. :p  To each his own.

Personally I prefer to rinse ASAP and the thought of my gear sitting for hours unrinsed makes me anxious...call it OCD, paranoid, whatever...just how it is for me.  The garden sprayer is a perfect idea IMO.  Will you be able to keep the gear out of the hot car and direct sun for the entire day at work?

I’ll probably have to leave most of the gear in the car. Windows slightly open. 
Not optimal for me either. I’ve fly fished saltwater for the better part of 25 years.  And in that time I think I can count on one hand the number of times I left my gear till the next morning to rinse off. 

14 mins ago, FoliFish said:

4 mins ago, ecks said:

Hand pump water squirter right after fishing. Spray reel, reel seat, and rod eyes. Lures also. 

Add  little Salt X to water and you're good to go. It takes like 2 minutes to do and your gear will thank you.

On a trip by trip basis I'm only concerned with any unsealed reels, everything else, plugs, waders, etc. I don't wash down every trip, I hang that stuff out in the shade at work, maybe once a week they got hosed down when I'm at home.... 

Last couple of seasons I've shifted to leaving a regular spray bottle in the truck instead of the garden sprayer to do do my rods & reels right after use, does the same thing as a garden sprayer but only takes up a fraction of the space...

After fishing when I get home I place my equipment in the shower and then at night while taking a shower I shampoo everything down and then rinse it off and leave it there until it is dry... 

I rinse the gear off in fresh water as soon as I get home. If I'm going to be gone for the day, I bring an extra bottle of water to clean the reel(s). The lures and rods can wait a little longer w/o bad effect.

All good responses....i carry a few bottles of water and just pour it over rod from top down to reel.....then use a shammy to blot dry

when i get home i do a more thorough job..... 

1 hour ago, PeteA said:

bringing along a 2 gallon, hand pump garden sprayer and rinsing my gear off in the parking lot or at work VS waiting till I get home.

exactly.

a little hand soap and a hand cloth, wet, suds up and down on the rod, guides and reel. rinse. good to go. 

58 mins ago, FoliFish said:

LOL, I'm one of those I fish in the rain people - but all my stuff is built to be abused, Ti guides, corrosion resistant (not made in China) reels. And everything gets broken down, fully cleaned and serviced twice a year before the spring and fall seasons.

For you more OCD types (Folifish :p) I see a lot of guys using the garden sprayer method right on the beach.

What you don't want to do is blast it at home or on the dock with a hose with a nozzle. That can push the water into the case. Your finger over the end of the hose is plenty.

When camping, even up to week,  I tend to leave the rinsing of rods and reels until I get home. 

A light simple green solution and a cheap paint brush are good at getting dry salt off. 

Make sure the gear is thoroughly dry before storing in non a/c space like a garage or shed. 

Depending on the reel, a drop of light oil on the roller and bail.

Once a year wax on the rods makes salt removal easier. 

3 mins ago, Sudsy said:

LOL, I'm one of those I fish in the rain people - but all my stuff is built to be abused, Ti guides, corrosion resistant (not made in China) reels. And everything gets broken down, fully cleaned and serviced twice a year before the spring and fall seasons.

For you more OCD types (Folifish :p) I see a lot of guys using the garden sprayer method right on the beach.

What you don't want to do is blast it at home or on the dock with a hose with a nozzle. That can push the water into the case. Your finger over the end of the hose is plenty.

Haha...its weird.  I'm OCD about this but not much else.  My vehicle is a mess and sandy year round.  Plugs/gear organized now but will be a mess and scattered all over the place by July 1.  My office desk is a little cluttered...but the thought of saltwater evaporating and leaving salt residue behind on my reel/rods/wader/plugs makes me cringe...like nails on a chalk board haha.

I just hose them down after fishing at the dock. 
Been doing it that way for years. 
What to worry about is the sun beating on them? 
Don’t leave them on the boat in the rod holders , out in the open. 
The sun will kill them.