How Republicans cost the USA renewable energy dominance

Rate this topic

MaxKatt

15 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

From Ron Reagan removing Jimmy Carter's solar panels from the White House roof....to the Bushes cosines with big oil...to Trump pulling out of Paris accord and rolling back emissions standards...the result?  

China and a Spanish company are the global leaders in solar and wind technology.  Republicans ceded the lead...and as the world moves to clean energy...we're playing catch-up.

Cover of NYT biz today...

"With a voracious appetite for acquiring utilities and making big investments in renewable energy, Iberdrola is now the world leader in combined wind and solar power outside China."

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.44.31 PM.png

So, what you’re saying is the Democrat presidents we’ve had during that time have been utterly useless then??

42 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Thats greatest irony. Maxkatt is cheering for Spain and china in this thread. And praising the Paris accord which excuses china on dirty manufacturing. 

We aren't even talking about slave labor.

Dummy.  No.  Not cheering for Spain and China.  Wishing I could cheer for the United States of America leading in the development of these next generation technologies...and we would have been, if your dumb asses hadn't been in our way.  

40 mins ago, bassackward said:

So, what you’re saying is the Democrat presidents we’ve had during that time have been utterly useless then??

No.  Just as with smart gun or Wall St. regulation, it's very hard to get these good works done all by yourself.

To be clear, on the existential crisis of climate change that we are facing...and the sustainable technologies that will be used to combat it...Republicans to a man have been science deniers and obstacles.   History records this.  The world will remember it.  

1 min ago, MaxKatt said:

Wishing I could cheer for the United States of America leading in the development of these next generation technologies...and we would have been, if your dumb asses hadn't been in our way.  

And then what?

We would have shipped the manufacturing to China like everything else we once made here.

1 min ago, MaxKatt said:

No.  Just as with smart gun or Wall St. regulation, it's very hard to get these good works done all by yourself.

To be clear, on the existential crisis of climate change that we are facing...and the sustainable technologies that will be used to combat it...Republicans to a man have been science deniers and obstacles.   History records this.  The world will remember it.  

There is no crisis.

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

Yes, if you are asking what I think you are asking, layperson liberals are not well acquainted with the idea of "hot standby". I have had the discussions and when you ask what happens when the sun sets or when the wind dies or when there is a drought you see a bewildered look in their eyes. They ask about batteries, and then you tell them such technology to store that much power in a commercially viable cost, does not exist they change the subject. 

Yes, liberals generally, not universally, have trouble with real-world technology topics when their ideology is challenged. 

My first computer was an IBM XT with a half height 10mb harddrive and it used wall power. 

My current computer, on which I am typing this, is a current generation Mac Mini which plugs into the wall as well. 

Same power source, same functionality, adjusting for faster chips, etc. 

Uh, maybe because Scandinavia is blessed with geothermal sources that are close to the surface and most of the world is not. Generic heat pumps can cool/heat your average house but it is more expensive than oil or gas, has a much longer cost recoup period and cannot be used efficiently for larger home unless the field is huge. 

Yeah, I had a client company working on that tech in California. They requested a state permit for an unpopulated stretch of shore to create a test bed for proof of concept, etc. The permit application was opened to public comment and the surfer, Audubon and other folks came out against it. Why? Because it was going to produce power and interfere with the scenery and surfing. They were looking for 400 yards of space and would have not fossil fuels in use anywhere, but the permit was denied due to the Californian objectors. 

Then there is the entire issue of storms, how the power is transmitted from the platform or sunken wave harnessing gear onto land and how the machinery is actually powered (it takes power to run the machines that make the power). 

Wave tech, if it ever works, will be via turbines and will have to be parked far enough offshore not to offend the natives, and that introduces another set of issues....

Further you have to send the power to shore involves current squared losses per unit of length. This can be got around on land by stepping up voltage.

Under water, do we want those type of voltages?

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

22 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Just as with smart gun

If you believe in "the smart gun" technology, you are not so smart. 

Outside of James Bond fantasy, please show me where this tech has been shown to work in the real-world.

How many law enforcement entities have adopted such tech to keep their officers safe from being shot by their own guns?

How many military units have adopted such for the same reason? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Why do we want to lead the world in second rate technology?

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Just now, MaxKatt said:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 2.51.16 PM.png

Fire purifies the Earth and eradicates dirty Libs. 

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Just now, MaxKatt said:

Depends on what type of crisis is most immediate to you, both in time and geography. 

Aussie wild fires are not an existential crisis. Tragic, but not an existential crisis and was not repeated in 2021 thus far. The 2019-2020 event, the worst on record, was due to a confluence of natural and manmade causes. US policy on leading alternative energy would have had no impact on Aussie fires. 

Now, if you want to discuss something closer to home, an existential threat to our own country and societal fabric....

George Floyd Death: 19 Powerful Images of Nationwide Protests

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

34 mins ago, Kbetts said:

Democratic city with a kangaroo photoshopped in.

hahahahahahaha

- Victor Davis Hanson 

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

Almost didn’t read beyond “smart gun...... regulation”:point:  Ok. Done laughing now.  So, you just confirmed that the Democrats have been utterly useless in the timespan you covered - presidents, members of congress, governors,..... I mean, it’s their jobs to get these things done despite the evil republicans, right? Haven’t the Dems had complete control once or twice in that time? They couldn’t do something that required more than a pen and a phone to reverse? Or, did they not know they were dealing with an existential crisis yet?

smart gun legislation :point:

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

Dummy.  No.  Not cheering for Spain and China.  Wishing I could cheer for the United States of America leading in the development of these next generation technologies...and we would have been, if your dumb asses hadn't been in our way.  

Its always "your" as an excuse. I am not a republican. These issues are simply to fruitful at election time to get resolved. 

I have worked on a lot of solar. How many solar panels does maxkatt own?