Beastly Backlash

Killing Ivy

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I really really hate ivy, English ivy specifically.

I want to destroy it from all parts of my yard and the perimeter on into parts of my neighbors' yards. They don't mind.

What is the best option? Options?

You sure it's English? Stays green all winter and doesn't lose it's leaves? Usually the invasive annoying crap is Boston Ivy or Virginia Creeper that lose their leaves. If you really want to do it in Roundup should do the trick.

I am using round up, but the leaves are waxy so I am wondering how effective round up will be. Just dosed the suff on Saturday and did a second dosing yesterday . How long before results show?

I am not sure what kind of ivy it is, but the leaves did go away in the winter. I hate all of it though.

I would take poison ivy any day over this stuff.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I can take a picture of some of it tomorrow.

It might be virgina creeper. All I know is it is a vine that seems to be getting worse.

I am in the process of redoing the back yard and the previous owners allowed everything to become over grown in the back including several massive pines that need to go along with all these nasty looking bushes.

I cut down about 10 pine trees up to 60ft in height, several small maples, and a number of other trees growing in the way.

Now all this ivy wants to spread further. 

My eventual goal is to plant apple trees, plum trees, and black berries. I do not want this stuff growing over those other plants.

Post a pic.  I'd tear out as much as you can by hand and then spray it.  You'll have to tear it out either live or dead, so may as well minimize how much you need to spray. They sell some versions of Roundup that are geared for woody plants.  It has higher concentrations of glyphosate.   

3 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

Post a pic.  I'd tear out as much as you can by hand and then spray it.  You'll have to tear it out either live or dead, so may as well minimize how much you need to spray. They sell some versions of Roundup that are geared for woody plants.  It has higher concentrations of glyphosate.   

I cleared a large swath of it already. The three really big pines are cover with the stuff so I cut those vines. The pines will be coming down regardless, but I wanted the vines dead.

I suppose I will keep pulling as much as I can too.

I saw the more potent versions of plant killer, but the last thing I want to do is hurt the soil too much. I saw that it mentioned you should not use that stuff in areas where you intend on planting food crops.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

1 min ago, rathrbefishn said:

Virginia Creeper will give some people rashes, no everyone but some.  It is very invasive. Get some small purplish berries

Ok, that is the stuff then because these vines do produce small berries.

23 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Ok, that is the stuff then because these vines do produce small berries.

As I suspected. English Ivy has better manners! The good new is Boston Ivy, the worst and probably what you have, tends to have main trunks that you can cut and paint the stump with roundup or some other stuff called "woody brush killer". It sucks it in and kills the whole root system. Problem is because it propagates from it's berries you have to constantly pulling it out.

Boston looks a lot like poison ivy when it is immature, with a cluster of three leaflets, then it gets one big leaf. Virginia has a cluster of 5 leaflets.

Mature Boston 

Parthenocissus-tricuspidata.jpg

Immature Boston. Fastest way to tell it from Poison Ivy is the middle petal has no extended stem.

3894848467_af05b2fd8d_b.jpg

Facts-and-benefits-of-Virginia-creeper-1

Don’t kill Ivy, he’s a nice guy! Seriously, cut all the the twining, climbing stems at the ground, hand pull or nuke any new growth with a non- selective like glyphosate.

F9785E19-7168-483D-85CA-DEE6739E5E40.jpeg

13 hours ago, gellfex said:

As I suspected. English Ivy has better manners! The good new is Boston Ivy, the worst and probably what you have, tends to have main trunks that you can cut and paint the stump with roundup or some other stuff called "woody brush killer". It sucks it in and kills the whole root system. Problem is because it propagates from it's berries you have to constantly pulling it out.

Boston looks a lot like poison ivy when it is immature, with a cluster of three leaflets, then it gets one big leaf. Virginia has a cluster of 5 leaflets.

Mature Boston 

Parthenocissus-tricuspidata.jpg

Immature Boston. Fastest way to tell it from Poison Ivy is the middle petal has no extended stem.

3894848467_af05b2fd8d_b.jpg

Facts-and-benefits-of-Virginia-creeper-1

I what I am fighting with is neither of those. Though I did cut down and remove large amounts of a berry producing vine.

Here it is.

20210505_105245.jpg.04a6ae72a34e2f914ab13aa38184501f.jpg

6 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I what I am fighting with is neither of those. Though I did cut down and remove large amounts of a berry producing vine.

Here it is.

20210505_105245.jpg.04a6ae72a34e2f914ab13aa38184501f.jpg

Huh, don't know what that is if it drops its leaves in winter. 

3 mins ago, gellfex said:

Huh, don't know what that is if it drops its leaves in winter. 

Maybe it didn't drop its leaves. I thought it did, but to be honest I wasn't paying attention to landscaping this winter.:D