CTfishing36

Trolling Mojo’s from a Kayak

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all,

I would like to try trolling mojo’s this year from my kayak to switch things up from the regular tube & worm (and give my wallet a break from $10.50 for sandworms). I have a trolling motor on my kayak so speed and stamina are not an issue and can stay at 2-4 mph. On YouTube everyone is using some heavy heavy lead. Could an experienced user tell me what I should be looking at using for 25-30 feet of water. I want to use a tandem for the increased odds. Magic tail and Tony Maja make an 8x4. Thoughts? Rock Fish Candy makes a 6x2, 5x3, 6x3, 7x3, and an 8x4 as well. Basically, I am hoping to figure out what is too heavy for my usage. Thanks!

Edited by CTfishing36

I use 8 or 12 ounces as the heavier head with 50lb braid, with either I use a 4 ounce head on the trailing bait, from a kayak.  I have also done single jigheads on leadcore using just a single 4 ounce head.

I have used single mojo up to max 6oz with no problem reaching 30ft...you need to adjust the speed of your kayak....and very often a mojo does not need to go all the way to the bottom...it depends where is the fish.,,btw T&W can sometimes be used without a worm...try some scented artificial plastic...they have worked very well for me.

13 hours ago, computeruser said:

I have used single mojo up to max 6oz with no problem reaching 30ft...you need to adjust the speed of your kayak....and very often a mojo does not need to go all the way to the bottom...it depends where is the fish.,,btw T&W can sometimes be used without a worm...try some scented artificial plastic...they have worked very well for me.

I found that Gulp sand worms out produce the real ones.