olvart

Mixing carbon with felt drag washers?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I brought this up on another thread and decided to try it.

I like the smoothness of felt,but the bottom washer on my Stradics disintegrates.

I took a factory Shimano carbon washer and thinned it down a bit on a stone.

Greased it up and put it into a 3K FK.

No fish yet but It is really smooth just cranking on it,lol.

Time will tell.

6F77C3EC-EBDA-43B5-A308-F20D9904DF80.jpeg

In the sets one of them is thicker. It goes into the spool first. I’m still using the originals in my 2500 Sustain.

13 mins ago, handi2 said:

In the sets one of them is thicker. It goes into the spool first. I’m still using the originals in my 2500 Sustain.

Hi handi. I bought a couple sets of Carbontex for my FJ’s from u about 4-5 years ago. They are still working but don’t seem as smooth as my Shimano carbon washers? 
6k and up my carbontex are great,for me,smaller reels I prefer felt.
Maybe just need a good cleaning and truing up on a flat stone.

Anyway,I bought a set of Shimano carbon to see if there was a visual differnce. I can’t see one.

Also,the Shimano had 2 part numbers but when I miked them they were all slightly different but hardly enough to warrant a different part number imho.

I ordered a set from Shimano for the 5k FK.

when I put them in my 3k they were to thick so thats how I got started on this journey :howdy:

Never forget losing Albies on a 4000 class reel in it's second or third season of targeting them

with the original felt drags and going ....WTF because I thought my drags were set correctly.  

Now years later after buying the same reels and swapping out those felts for Carbonex, 

with zero issues....I'm a happy camper.  

Including some real Fat Alberts....not Buffalo's mind you...but real nice Cape Cod'ers.

I am interested in the idea of mixing the two though.

Let's hear ....more here with your experience's.   

Nice thread gentlemen!    

I have read quite a few posts  about people having to grease carbon fiber drag washers for smooth operation.  . if you are having to do that your metal washers are not flat, they have high and low places on them . When you add grease this fills in the low spots on the metal washer. If your metal washers are flat you should be able to run your carbon washers dry with a light film of graphite. 
I posted a tutorial on here a few years ago on lapping  metal washers for smooth drag operation. My two stx 70,s had bad drag adjustment and other than smooth start up . I lapped the metal washers , cleaned the carbon washers and the drag was smooth as silk after doing that .
In reference to your question on mixing felt with carbon , if it works smooth with good drag adjustment then go with the idea. It doesn't have to work for anyone else as long as it works for you.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, stripefromshore said:

I have read quite a few posts  about people having to grease carbon fiber drag washers for smooth operation.  . if you are having to do that your metal washers are not flat, they have high and low places on them . When you add grease this fills in the low spots on the metal washer. If your metal washers are flat you should be able to run your carbon washers dry with a light film of graphite. 
I posted a tutorial on here a few years ago on lapping  metal washers for smooth drag operation. My two stx 70,s had bad drag adjustment and other than smooth start up . I lapped the metal washers , cleaned the carbon washers and the drag was smooth as silk after doing that .
In reference to your question on mixing felt with carbon , if it works smooth with good drag adjustment then go with the idea. It doesn't have to work for anyone else as long as it works for you.

Good post.

Stradic only uses 1 flat washer. Easy to true up.

The other 2,not so easy.

Shimano Stradic CI4+ FB fishing reel review - Get the reel

Edited by olvart