Hook I

Silicon chips = are we being held hostage ?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

COVID-19, The Democrats , Trump , Global Warming . Car production is at a standstill 120 plus’s days to order a vehicle at delivery those chips are hard to come by. Supply and demand prices $$ Reminded me the shortage of Mallowmars :banghd:. What a world we live in ? Cant we do anything about it ! , Hold your hands high we are taken over by overseas countries . It starts here . Can Terrible Joe fix this problem ? 

36 mins ago, Hook I said:

COVID-19, The Democrats , Trump , Global Warming . Car production is at a standstill 120 plus’s days to order a vehicle at delivery those chips are hard to come by. Supply and demand prices $$ Reminded me the shortage of Mallowmars :banghd:. What a world we live in ? Cant we do anything about it ! , Hold your hands high we are taken over by overseas countries . It starts here . Can Terrible Joe fix this problem ? 

Do you know why?

Car companies screwed themselves.

They cut production because............ STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But when people started moving around again, they didn't want to use public transportation........ (exodus from cities ring a bell?)

Well, guess what?

they needed cars

And guess what?

The chip makers don't just make chips for car makers.

The production cut from automakers led to chip makers making chips for other industries.

If the car companies didn't cut production, they'd be getting the chips they needed.

But they didn't want more chips than they thought they need, so we are where we are because of it.

Chip[ production went overseas because overseas is cheaper, like everything else that's manufactured. It's all a matter of return on investment. The Chinese didn't and don't need to steal these jobs, American executives are anxious to export them.

1 hour ago, Mokes said:

China is going to pork America on rare earth metals too. Dems are effing weaklings. 

What would you have them do in regards to rare earth elements?

2 hours ago, eddy said:

Do you know why?

But when people started moving around again, they didn't want to use public transportation........ (exodus from cities ring a bell?)

Well, guess what?

they needed cars

And guess what?

The production cut from automakers led to chip makers making chips for other industries.

If the car companies didn't cut production, they'd be getting the chips they needed.

But they didn't want more chips than they thought they need, so we are where we are because of it.

It’s not easy to time business , some of the most successful money makers  made there pot of golf by mistake . They out smarted themselves .  It the new government will not do anything about it because they don’t want fuel eating cars and trucks on the road 

1 hour ago, eddy said:

Do you know why?

Well, guess what?

they needed cars

And guess what?

I they weren't running out of chips the would be running out of other parts made in China.

6 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

What would you have them do in regards to rare earth elements?

Them? Nothing. Us? Nuke them. 

It’s cheaper if we do manufacture any thing overseas ...standard reply from corporations and folks who reap the ill gotten bonuses ...Bernie isn’t totally wrong lol LOL LOL 

12 hours ago, eddy said:

Do you know why?

Well, guess what?

they needed cars

And guess what?

Its not just the car industry I can assure you regarding the chips.  This is effecting many areas of technology.  Back in January I took one of the biggest orders I've had in years.  Here it is first week of May and HP still has not gotten me the hardware.  Classic case of never celebrate a payday until the check is in the bank. :confused:

7 mins ago, mako capt said:

Its not just the car industry I can assure you regarding the chips.  This is effecting many areas of technology.  Back in January I took one of the biggest orders I've had in years.  Here it is first week of May and HP still has not gotten me the hardware.  Classic case of never celebrate a payday until the check is in the bank. :confused:

Yep.

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago.  If you want something you better buy it right now.  I really wish I could say more.  Maybe soon.

I manufacture printed circuit boards for an industrial sensor that I designed.  I used to be able to buy 1,000 qty of all the parts I needed to do a run from any of the big distributors.  Now it's complete mayhem.  I routinely see lead times of 50+ weeks.  In the case of one of my components, a 3 axis accelerometer that costs $1.50, the distributor says "good luck" we have no idea when it will be in stock and it's been back ordered for 6 months.

I saw the writing on the wall last summer and bought as much inventory as I could and just sit on it.  I literally drive to my contract manufacturer in NH and hand him all the parts to place on the boards in my truck.

One of my competitors did not do this and they are screwed.

The manufacturer that makes the radio module I use said it all stems back to a fire in Japan.  These radios require a TCXO (temperature compensated crystal oscillator) and a huge portion of the worlds supply comes from AKM in Japan.  They had a 3 day fire back in the fall and the ripples in the supply chain are vast.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about circuit shortages but that's likely why car manufacturers are idle.  And being a tiny fish against Ford, you can guess where the priorities are when parts are available.  AKA not me.

6 mins ago, Sailah said:

I manufacture printed circuit boards for an industrial sensor that I designed.  I used to be able to buy 1,000 qty of all the parts I needed to do a run from any of the big distributors.  Now it's complete mayhem.  I routinely see lead times of 50+ weeks.  In the case of one of my components, a 3 axis accelerometer that costs $1.50, the distributor says "good luck" we have no idea when it will be in stock and it's been back ordered for 6 months.

I saw the writing on the wall last summer and bought as much inventory as I could and just sit on it.  I literally drive to my contract manufacturer in NH and hand him all the parts to place on the boards in my truck.

One of my competitors did not do this and they are screwed.

The manufacturer that makes the radio module I use said it all stems back to a fire in Japan.  These radios require a TCXO (temperature compensated crystal oscillator) and a huge portion of the worlds supply comes from AKM in Japan.  They had a 3 day fire back in the fall and the ripples in the supply chain are vast.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about circuit shortages but that's likely why car manufacturers are idle.  And being a tiny fish against Ford, you can guess where the priorities are when parts are available.  AKA not me.

Thanks for your informative post.

Stop by more often.