Bdemiri23

Best 3000-5000 spinning reel

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have been looking at reviews and a lot of people have similar likes and dislikes about most reels. I would like to see what you would vote to be your best 3000-5000 size reel. I am  rating on casting/durability/under pressure and overall performance.$100-$250 price range. I am hearing some great things about the new Penn DX Battle but have not tried one out yet. I would say my Gossa is #1 in that price range.#2 Nasci is just a workhorse and best value for me. #3 Stradic is a great reel and smooth as butter. Thank you for your input.

Seems you like Shimano. I have the Penn Slammer 4500 and 5500. The 3500 and 4500 is in that price range, the 5500 is a little over. Their DuraDrag drag system is the best you can get for the money and the reels are tanks. If you're considering a Penn, I'd take the Slammer over the Battle any day.

I've had a Battle and it blew up after a season and a half

I've used numerous BG reels and I am pretty happy with them up to this point, been using them for 2 years now

No experience with slammers so I can't speak to those.

36 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I have been looking at reviews and a lot of people have similar likes and dislikes about most reels. I would like to see what you would vote to be your best 3000-5000 size reel. I am  rating on casting/durability/under pressure and overall performance.$100-$250 price range. I am hearing some great things about the new Penn DX Battle but have not tried one out yet. I would say my Gossa is #1 in that price range.#2 Nasci is just a workhorse and best value for me. #3 Stradic is a great reel and smooth as butter. Thank you for your input.

Seems like you have the bases covered and are satisfied with the Shimanos. You can try others but if you like what you have chances are you won't like the change. Personally, I prefer the Daiwa SS2600 but its old technology that the crowd born after 1980 won't consider. Their loss. Don't say I didn't tell you so.  Reel performs as designed, handles braid well, great casting, durable and proven, did I mention round $100. 

Search em' up, you won't find many negatives on them, cuz' they work.

5 mins ago, Chrishockey said:

Why do people like the BG so much? I know that it's the best you can get for its price but it's hard to compare a slammer to a BG. 

They're not even in the same ballpark. I have two BGs (4000/5000) and I haven't even used them in three years. The 4000 got geary after one good fish and the 5000 squeaks after taking a splash. I guess if you're super careful and never get them wet and don't put too much stress on them, they're a good reel for the $$$, but they're nothing like the Slammers. I beat the hell out of them. Every once in a while I rinse them down, but that's about it. They're tanks(With the smoothest drag available for under $400).

Just now, RockRonin said:

They're not even in the same ballpark. I have two BGs (4000/5000) and I haven't even used them in three years. The 4000 got geary after one good fish and the 5000 squeaks after taking a splash. I guess if you're super careful and never get them wet and don't put too much stress on them, they're a good reel for the $$$, but they're nothing like the Slammers. I beat the hell out of them. Every once in a while I rinse them down, but that's about it. They're tanks(With the smoothest drag available for under $400).

Yeah, slammers are sealed and can definitely take a beating and a splash. But I guess if you don't need a sealed reel the bg is the way to go. 

I’d go with a gosa. I’ve had numerous slammers and the don’t even compare to the gosa in terms of durability. I’ve stripped 3 main gears on my slammers. Anything Shimano under a gosa to me feels very fragile and flexible when under load. I probably wouldn’t take my experiences seriously though since I do tend to fish pretty hard and I like to fish my drag on the tighter side. Love my slammer 4500 though. My 5500s crapped out on me

Penn Slammer has been great for me for the past 3 years.

Haven’t given it anything more than a freshwater rinse since I got it.

Not a single complaint regarding the reel.

Slammers aren't really in the same price range as the BG's. I think it says a lot about the $115 BG, being that it comes up in conversations with the $250 Slammer. The BG is one of Daiwas lowest models, yet the slammer is one of Penns top.