Thumb-Burner

need recommendation for 8-9.5 ft conventional surf rod

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I think you have more options than you know but just have to think outside the box.

As mentioned steelhead, and perhaps salmon, rods are a place to look.  Musky and swim bait are another.  There are mag bass blanks that will cast 2 ounces without problem.  Plenty of spin jig blanks in the MH to H rating will cast 2 ounces.

Sorry, I build my own rods, so I can't name names.  Just saying at a max length of 8 foot you could be including musky, swimbait, spin jig, mag bass, and back bounce rods in your search.  Steelhead and salmon will be available in longer lengths.

I think your best bet would be a mag bass in 8 foot designed for casting Alabama rigs.

20 mins ago, Russ57 said:

I think you have more options than you know but just have to think outside the box.

As mentioned steelhead, and perhaps salmon, rods are a place to look.  Musky and swim bait are another.  There are mag bass blanks that will cast 2 ounces without problem.  Plenty of spin jig blanks in the MH to H rating will cast 2 ounces.

Sorry, I build my own rods, so I can't name names.  Just saying at a max length of 8 foot you could be including musky, swimbait, spin jig, mag bass, and back bounce rods in your search.  Steelhead and salmon will be available in longer lengths.

I think your best bet would be a mag bass in 8 foot designed for casting Alabama rigs.

VERY helpful.   I actually looked at a rod for alabama rigs recently online.  My challenge is that due to where i live, there isn't a musky, salmon steelhead or mag bass rod anywhere in any shop for me to "fondle".    I hate guessing and buying without feeling it first which is why i'm asking so many questions...  

I'll check out the mag bass rods... didn't know they came as long as 8'

Posted (edited) · Report post

What you fish for along with how and where are needed to offer any decent advice.  I am just mentioning that there are plenty of 8 foot blanks that will cast two ounces.

There are probably more builders in the Carolina's than anywhere else.  The 2021 edition of International Custom Rod Building Exposition was held at M.C. Benton Convention Center.  Anyone may attend but tickets go fast.  Likely you would see and learn more in a weekend than you might in a lifetime of just fishing on your own.

+

Edited by TimS
Please don’t use this website to promote other websites, that’s called advertising and we don’t allow it - thanks.

13 hours ago, Russ57 said:

I have yet to find a salmon/steelhead rod that was not a buggy whip even when rated to 2oz casting weight.

Just now, Beastly Backlash said:

I have yet to find a salmon/steelhead rod that was not a buggy whip even when rated to 2oz casting weight.

that's my challenge with salmon steelhead rods if I can't try them out.  the ratings are all over the place

Just now, Thumb-Burner said:

that's my challenge with salmon steelhead rods if I can't try them out.  the ratings are all over the place

I tried out enough salmon steelhead rods to conclude that the rods are very specialized for their intended use and targeted species which is fighting big and powerful fish on very light lines, they are not rods that you want to use in a general purpose sense.

FWIW part of it comes down to understanding the different types of rods and their intended use.

For example a back bounce is made to fish a heavy weight on the bottom in current.  You lift the tip, and therefore the weight off the bottom, let it drift back a few feet/yards, and lower the tip.  So they have a strong tip but more of a moderate action back bone.  They can make a nice moderate sized snapper/bottom fishing rod.  Often times the same blank is used for back bounce, musky, and swim bait rods.

Hot shot rods are almost the polar opposite.  They are designed to work a plug on the top using only the current.  They are the fastest blank around with a very limber tip leading to a ultra quick shut off into a strong back bone. They are a great blank for casting lighter weights for fish that fight on the top of the water column in open water.  The lighter powered ones are favorites for flats fishing in my area.

But yes, the general purpose ones are often of the "buggy whip" type.  Length is a clue as hot shot and back bounce typically aren't any longer than 8 1/2 feet.

On 5/4/2021 at 0:25 PM, Thumb-Burner said:

looking for something that will handle up to 2 oz metal and that is light.   looking for a factory rod..  Not wanting something that will handle up to 3 or 4 (have that) and not wanting a 7'er 

Try looking for the Shimano scimitar rod on eBay, there's a few vendors on there to have quite a few of them I'm sure you can find something you looking for.

They're beautiful rides too great finish nice cork handles.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe take a look at the Berkley NAUMAD Travel, a 4 piece 9' rod rated 3/4 oz to 2.8 oz (20 to 80g). I bought one for light use travel beach/surf fishing.

Edited by Coutel

I have several conventional's that fit your bill, but unfortunately, all are out of production, except the MudHole Tackle 8ft Blank that I built myself as a conventional.  The others are a G-Loomis Muskie Blank, originally 7ft 9inch, which I lengthened the butt 6 inches, and a St, Croix Premier 8ft blank that I built as a conventional as well.  In terms of blank recovery rate, the "slowest" is the Mudhole, the "fastest" is the Loomis, and the St. Croix is in between.  So this gives me ideal action for wood swimmers/minnow type plugs, metal/poppers, and jigs, respectively.

On 5/6/2021 at 5:41 AM, shark lobster said:

I have a 8’ conv that throws 1/2 to 2 oz its a g lomis blank  i bought it on a whim and its not for me id be willing to part with it ! 
it was built by Chria Aubut

This is a great option,