Thumb-Burner

need recommendation for 8-9.5 ft conventional surf rod

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

looking for something that will handle up to 2 oz metal and that is light.   looking for a factory rod..  Not wanting something that will handle up to 3 or 4 (have that) and not wanting a 7'er 

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

looking for something that will handle up to 2 oz metal and that is light.   looking for a factory rod..  Not wanting something that will handle up to 3 or 4 (have that) and not wanting a 7'er 

Look up your musky rods.

I picked up an 8ft6in St. Croix Legend Tournament Musky Downsizer rod that casts 1oz to 2oz beautifully.

It would be a good option for what you ask.

I love my conventional outfits but for up to 2 oz I'd rather go spinning. I don't see much off the shelf SW options like you are looking for but good luck. There has to be something out there.

Just now, redfin said:

I love my conventional outfits but for up to 2 oz I'd rather go spinning. I don't see much off the shelf SW options like you are looking for but good luck. There has to be something out there.

this is what i've heard for years...   I'm about to give up.. :)  and use a nasty spinning reel.

12 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

really?  one response???  have conventional rods been outlawed and no one told me?

Yes, but if you already own them they are grandfathered in.

2 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Yes, but if you already own them they are grandfathered in.

Whew!  good to know.  I was trying to figure out where to hide!

3 mins ago, RiverShoulders said:

Not sure the price point you are looking for but Tica Dolphin Surf cast  T3 8'-9' run ½-2 and ¾-3   

can't find one in stock

Best bet would be a steelhead rod for that weight range, or a musky rod. I know I posted that in your other thread as well, but unfortunately for that lure weight range and length options are limited. 

Once you get to 10ft and over 1or 2 oz as the lowest range of the rod options open up more. Or around 7ft there are plenty of options as well. 

I feel you on the spinners, for whatever reason I struggle with them haha. I grew up using conventional reels boat fishing, and getting into shore/surf fishing more recently I stuck with conventional and low profile baitcaster style. Just felt more natural. 

Hopefully scooby sees this, maybe he can chime in. Based on a lot of his other posts and threads (great info btw) I believe he is of the conventional crowd haha. 

@scoobydoo

On 5/4/2021 at 0:25 PM, Thumb-Burner said:

The last time I looked on Penn Fishing the medium 10’ conv. Battalion 2 was the only surf rod in stock. I think it’s rated for what you’re looking for. Free shipping and if you sign up for emails I think you get 10 percent off. 

I have an 8ft medium heavy mojo musky rod that throws 3/4-3 ounce. It is sweet for plugging.

I liked it so much that I got a 10.5 ft mojo surf medium heavy 2-6 ounce. 

St. Croix also makes a 9 ft. Mojo musky that telescopes 1.5 ft. into the the butt so that it stores at 7.5 ft. This is the alternative to a two piece rod where one piece is way longer than the other one. 

You can also go for a Lamiglass conventional. They are sturdier but heavier than the st. Croix's. 

There are a bunch of new conventional rods that throw 3/4 oz to 3 oz. 

For my money, I'd go for a nine foot mojo musky telescoper. Medium heavy 2-6 oz. Super light, awesome grip, casts far, 5 year warranty.