matthew.cnm

Surf rod for river bank fishing?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So I've recently gotten into striper fishing with my dad and need to buy a new rod. Currently I use a 25 year old 7' ugly stik tiger XH but it doesn't get me enough distance. I'm mainly throwing bait with 4-8oz of lead which handles it like a champ. Tried doing the same with my salmon/steelhead okuma guide select classic 9'6" XH but feels like the rod would blow up anytime I tried to bomb an 8oz halfway across the river.

Then I found out about surf rods but being on the riverbank with lots of trees and shrubbery behind me, an 11 or 12ft would be too long for the majority of stretches along the river where my full cast potential is hindered. Doesn't seem like there is a solid 10' surf rod that can bomb 8oz is there?

9 mins ago, matthew.cnm said:

Hi everyone,

So I've recently gotten into striper fishing with my dad and need to buy a new rod. Currently I use a 25 year old 7' ugly stik tiger XH but it doesn't get me enough distance. I'm mainly throwing bait with 4-8oz of lead which handles it like a champ. Tried doing the same with my salmon/steelhead okuma guide select classic 9'6" XH but feels like the rod would blow up anytime I tried to bomb an 8oz halfway across the river.

Then I found out about surf rods but being on the riverbank with lots of trees and shrubbery behind me, an 11 or 12ft would be too long for the majority of stretches along the river where my full cast potential is hindered. Doesn't seem like there is a solid 10' surf rod that can bomb 8oz is there?

I’m at a loss for an over the counter 10 that would handle 8oz. Would you consider a custom rod? Also, I can’t see a big difference in 10 vs 11 with regard to your backcast. If you open up to an 11 I think you may find more choices.

1 hour ago, matthew.cnm said:

Hi everyone,

I fish rivers a lot and I use longer rods up to 12ft surf rods.

Often times you need to just hop into the water and make your cast.

Surf rod for what you ask? Not really, but there are options that will suit your needs.

So, are you using a baitcaster/conventional reel or a spinner?

Edited by Beastly Backlash

15 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I fish rivers a lot and I use longer rods up to 12ft surf rods.

Often times you need to just hop into the water and make your cast.

Surf rod for what you ask? Not really, but there are options that will suit your needs.

So, are you using a baitcaster/conventional reel or a spinner?

What options do you recommend? I use both but prefer baitcaster. 

34 mins ago, matthew.cnm said:

What options do you recommend? I use both but prefer baitcaster. 

One of my favorite options for 8nbait riverside is a good 9ft XXH musky rod. My go to are the 9ft Tackle Industries Musky rods. While they are 1ft shorter then 10ft, the action and blank composition will net you plenty of extra distance. The rods have an 18in butt that is a good moderate length that gives you enough length for a good push pull technique while not being unwieldy (most other musky rods have 14in butts and most 10ft surf rods have 22in butts or longer. These rods carry a no questions asked life time warrenty too.

There is a catfish rod called the TWC Extender that is 10ft in length and made from e-glass. It is not a surf rod, but it was built to handle casting 8oz and bait. They are solid rods, but the 9ft Musky rods will still cast further.

There is the Uglystik XH 10ft bigwater rod that could easily cast 2lbs if you want. I have it, just have to get the rod spooled up with line. I got it after my buddy showed up to the river one night with the thing. It has your typical surf rod lay out, butt over 20in type conventional rod.

There is also a 9ft6in XH rod from Whisker Seekers. This rod is a composite that is lighter then the Uglystik and TWC, but slightly heavier then the 9ft Musky rod I mentioned. It comes in spinning and casting.

Out of all these options I like the XXH musky rod the best. While the initial cost is the highest you are getting a better performing rod that can serve duel purposes easily. Sensitive enough for bottom fishing saltwater for snapper and blackfish, works great for cats, designed for musky and pike, and has the power to handle most sharks and any ray you hook, then can be flipped to casting plugs for striper.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I’m at a loss for an over the counter 10 that would handle 8oz. Would you consider a custom rod? Also, I can’t see a big difference in 10 vs 11 with regard to your backcast. If you open up to an 11 I think you may find more choices.

My 9'6" was already poking into some branches as I cast so I imagine 11' and longer I'd be fishing trees more than fish. But I understand what I'm asking for is very niche so I might just have to do with an 11'.

And for custom rods, if the price is right and it's got a good rep then yeah I'd swoopt it up. $250 is the highest I'd go to though, $300 if it was enticing enough. I'm still a cheap man at heart though lol.

16 mins ago, matthew.cnm said:

My 9'6" was already poking into some branches as I cast so I imagine 11' and longer I'd be fishing trees more than fish. But I understand what I'm asking for is very niche so I might just have to do with an 11'.

And for custom rods, if the price is right and it's got a good rep then yeah I'd swoopt it up. $250 is the highest I'd go to though, $300 if it was enticing enough. I'm still a cheap man at heart though lol.

I don't throw the custom option around much as there are great rods to pick from off the shelf but slinging 8 and bait I know something about and you need a stout rod. Off the shelf rods 10 and under I don't see it. Not for 8 and bait. Going custom glass you can make it just as you need it. Should be within that range you indicated. You may be able to find an off the shelf 70/30 split heavy 11 or 12 and cut her down? If this is something you do a lot of invest the most you feel comfortable.

53 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

What are you fishing for btw?

I realize I could just use a heavy bass rod if I wanted for stripers but it can't handle anything more than 3-4 oz on a full cast. But 4oz doesn't cut it in the current so Im thinking I need a big rod for slinging heavy lead that can handle 50" stripers or even sturgeon if I'm lucky.

31 mins ago, redfin said:

I don't throw the custom option around much as there are great rods to pick from off the shelf but slinging 8 and bait I know something about and you need a stout rod. Off the shelf rods 10 and under I don't see it. Not for 8 and bait. Going custom glass you can make it just as you need it. Should be within that range you indicated. You may be able to find an off the shelf 70/30 split heavy 11 or 12 and cut her down? If this is something you do a lot of invest the most you feel comfortable.

Rods designed for musky and catfish are his best option off the shelf.

All the factory rods 10ft and less seem to made for 4oz and less.:(

47 mins ago, matthew.cnm said:

I realize I could just use a heavy bass rod if I wanted for stripers but it can't handle anything more than 3-4 oz on a full cast. But 4oz doesn't cut it in the current so Im thinking I need a big rod for slinging heavy lead that can handle 50" stripers or even sturgeon if I'm lucky.

I strongly encourage you to go with a 9ft XXH musky rod then. 

I use Tackle Industries primarily, but St. Croix has a good 9ft rod that can cast some weight.

I target flathead catfish a lot and I have the same needs. Big lead for big current. Often times I am fishing live bait pushing 14in so there is that weight to factor in as well.

On flathead off season I also go for musky with the same exact set-up.

It is a 2 for one as far as I am concerned.

It becomes a 3 for one when I hit saltwater as the same set-up gets used as a travel rod. I use the 2-piece XXH version.

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

This is the set-up. I have also run Avet SX's, MXL's, Abu 7000's, Tranx 400's, Lexa 400's, Fathom 25's, Fathom 12's, and Fathom 15's on the same rod and all reels have fot well.

20210504_164138.jpg.d3b6e08fcc4c0ebcc764e7a8af527ee2.jpg

20210504_164205.jpg.2474a26d2cf32d3f1043e102fab398c4.jpg

That's a sweet setup. How's your experience with cork vs foam handles?

54 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I like cork over foam. Cork has personality.

BTW, those rods come in full grip too.

Man you're getting me hooked on them Muskie rods lol. At what weight is your sweet spot when slingin lead? Will a 6 or 8 oz load that XXH enough in your opinion?