Ted Pietz

Old Bob Hahn Ad

10 posts in this topic

I have an old J&J catalog from 1993 and found an ad for Bob Hahn plugs. I thought Bob's fans would be interested in it. Rest in Peace Bob.

Scan_20210504 (3).jpg

Scan_20210504 (4).jpg

8 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

Bob was a pioneer in his own right and doesn't get the praise he deserves.

That he was...at least locally it was either Gibbs or Hahn, there wasn't any third option for wood in the 80s around here. Bob's stuff was perfectly suited for NJ surf and jetty fishing. He only made one needlefish - and it was spectacular at fish catching...but held up terribly. They soaked up water, the through wiring even rotted out on some...but they caught fish. The Gibbs needle was a floater at the time - and while it had it's uses, they were limited. He made the only surfster or pikie style lures you could buy around here - Gibbs made their danny plugs and casting swimmers....but for surfsters and pikies it was Hahn's stuff :)

Were these all pine?  I have some and remeber them being on the lighter side.  Usually, no non-sense fish catching colors.

3 hours ago, MikeK said:

Were these all pine?  I have some and remeber them being on the lighter side.  Usually, no non-sense fish catching colors.

It says in the ad he used cedar, basswood and pine but I like to think he used whatever could be scrounged up!

4 hours ago, TimS said:

That he was...at least locally it was either Gibbs or Hahn, there wasn't any third option for wood in the 80s around here. Bob's stuff was perfectly suited for NJ surf and jetty fishing. He only made one needlefish - and it was spectacular at fish catching...but held up terribly. They soaked up water, the through wiring even rotted out on some...but they caught fish. The Gibbs needle was a floater at the time - and while it had it's uses, they were limited. He made the only surfster or pikie style lures you could buy around here - Gibbs made their danny plugs and casting swimmers....but for surfsters and pikies it was Hahn's stuff :)

This is beautiful Tim. Thanks.