dmac95

Adding Kicker Motor to Boat

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Last year I bought a 9.9 4 stroke mercury and a kicker jack plate mount to bolt onto my boat transom.

Three questions (or more)

1. If I mount to the jack plate, that's 4 holes going into my transom, topleft, topright, bottomleft, bottomright. I'm confident it will hold up well permitting I do it right, but what to do with the holes if I all of the sudden don't want the kicker motor on the boat?

2. Is this a good idea? Have people felt much better with kicker (for safety reasons)?

3. Regarding weight distribution, my boat has a 6 people or 1000 lb boat capacity. Does adding a 9.9 kicker ~100lbs at end (to the 115 2 stroke 378lb Johnson that's already sitting at transom), half a foot out at jack plate hurt this weight capacity? If so how much does it get reduced by? 100lb (weight of 9.9) or 100lb times the torque distance from center of boat? 

Follow up on this, if I have the 100lb 9.9 kicker on the back of the boat, and a minn kota on front tip (guessing this weighs ~30lb) and 2x  50lb trolling batteries in bench seat that lies right in front of center console hub, will this sort of balance out the heavy extra 9.9 on the back?

I had a 9.9 kicked on my old sea ox 23, never had a problem with it and I used it a lot to both get me into very shallow water and once or twice as emergency power.

Had a drop down mount for a kicker on my 17 Mako when we bought it waaaay back when.  Used to throw my 6HP on there, and used it once when the original power, a 1973 135 Johnson decided to melt down its pistons.  Stopped carrying it when we repowered, but kept the bracket.  It was mounted way outboard of the center line, didn't really affect trim noticeably.

As to your 'is it a good idea' question...only you can answer that.  Whats the main power?  Issues with it?  Where are you going?

Should you choose to remove the jack plate, its easy enough to epoxy some plugs in the holes and put some gelcoat to make everything pretty.  Might not match colorwise 100% when all is said and done worse case scenario

I used to have a kicker on one of my boats. It was great for trolling and as a safety. However, it was a PITA when not in use. Trailering with a lower quality bracket can be an issue. I hung mine from shared room on the transom cap but when looking into some of the options for mounting directly to the exterior of the transom, my researched yielded that the cheaper options are potentially hazardous and ya, you are adding holes into your hull. IMO, if you ever sell the boat, those brackets and/or the holes are kind of like an old unground pool for resale values... 

The other thing to consider is how it will be used. I paired my to the big motor so that my steering would turn the kicker. Some just keep it locked into a direction and use the big motor as a rudder. That did not work so well for me and was blowing all over the place. I think my setup I used as an ez steer? I was able to run another fuel line right from my water separator too and made a quick connection.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, NHAngler said:

I used to have a kicker on one of my boats. It was great for trolling and as a safety. However, it was a PITA when not in use. Trailering with a lower quality bracket can be an issue. I hung mine from shared room on the transom cap but when looking into some of the options for mounting directly to the exterior of the transom, my researched yielded that the cheaper options are potentially hazardous and ya, you are adding holes into your hull. IMO, if you ever sell the boat, those brackets and/or the holes are kind of like an old unground pool for resale values... 

The other thing to consider is how it will be used. I paired my to the big motor so that my steering would turn the kicker. Some just keep it locked into a direction and use the big motor as a rudder. That did not work so well for me and was blowing all over the place. I think my setup I used as an ez steer? I was able to run another fuel line right from my water separator too and made a quick connection.

Good luck.

in terms of weight capacity, does it mean I now have ~100lbs less for occupants, now that I have a kicker mounted on back?

3 mins ago, dmac95 said:

in terms of weight capacity, does it mean I now have ~100lbs less for occupants, now that I have a kicker mounted on back?

I have a no fat people allowed on the boat rule (except for me). Can share the policy with the rule with you but is just that one line. :)

The added weight can be noticed depending on the size and type of the boat. I stuck to 5-8hp outboards to keep the weight between 80-90 pounds which is close to a 29-31 series battery. 

Even if weight is an issue, if you are serious enough about putting a kicker on, you can always move some weight forward if possible such as relocating 1 or more batteries mid-ship or to the bow or even just cutting down on what may be adding to your total weight (fuel, water, the extra downrigger balls, or extra 30 packs). 

4 mins ago, NHAngler said:

I have a no fat people allowed on the boat rule (except for me). Can share the policy with the rule with you but is just that one line. :)

The added weight can be noticed depending on the size and type of the boat. I stuck to 5-8hp outboards to keep the weight between 80-90 pounds which is close to a 29-31 series battery. 

Even if weight is an issue, if you are serious enough about putting a kicker on, you can always move some weight forward if possible such as relocating 1 or more batteries mid-ship or to the bow or even just cutting down on what may be adding to your total weight (fuel, water, the extra downrigger balls, or extra 30 packs). 

it's a 18 ft hydra sport 

22 mins ago, dmac95 said:

I think those are pretty much meaningless

Its more about how the boat will sit or run with the weight wherever you are going to put it

26 mins ago, makorider said:

I think those are pretty much meaningless

Its more about how the boat will sit or run with the weight wherever you are going to put it

So the weight capacity sticker they have on boats ie: 6 ppl or 1000 lbs is just a guideline? How many lbs would it take to sink a 2700 lb (motor included) boat?

14 mins ago, dmac95 said:

So the weight capacity sticker they have on boats ie: 6 ppl or 1000 lbs is just a guideline? How many lbs would it take to sink a 2700 lb (motor included) boat?

A hell of a lot more than that.

Cant tell you how many I had packed on the 17 during drunken teen escapades.  Always room for more girls...

17 mins ago, makorider said:

A hell of a lot more than that.

Cant tell you how many I had packed on the 17 during drunken teen escapades.  Always room for more girls...

yikes, i thought 4 people was a lot.

I can load up lots of extra flesh in the front of the boat too. Sure, I would invite 3-4 bikini babes @ 100 lbs each to join me but that 350+ pounder is going to have to wait for the ferry.

That sticker is NOT a guideline and if you get inspected or more likely have an issue that causes them to inspect you and the coast guard does the math, you could get a fine for overloading. Not that they are going to start adding up your equipment and kicker but certainly the # of people on board. 

I focus on the activities and if I'm trolling there is going to be more activity in the back of the boat. Back of the boat weight limits are maintained to keep dry feet for boats with self-bailing decks and rear scuppers. 

3 hours ago, NHAngler said:

I can load up lots of extra flesh in the front of the boat too. Sure, I would invite 3-4 bikini babes @ 100 lbs each to join me but that 350+ pounder is going to have to wait for the ferry.

That sticker is NOT a guideline and if you get inspected or more likely have an issue that causes them to inspect you and the coast guard does the math, you could get a fine for overloading. Not that they are going to start adding up your equipment and kicker but certainly the # of people on board. 

I focus on the activities and if I'm trolling there is going to be more activity in the back of the boat. Back of the boat weight limits are maintained to keep dry feet for boats with self-bailing decks and rear scuppers. 

Absolutely.  But exceeding it doesn't mean you will sink, which he hinted at thinking of in post 9

Like anything else...common sense.  Use it.

1 hour ago, makorider said:

Absolutely.  But exceeding it doesn't mean you will sink, which he hinted at thinking of in post 9

Like anything else...common sense.  Use it.

Overloading a boat with chickies sounds like fun......however, not much in the way of common sense. :read:

14 hours ago, ken r said:

Overloading a boat with chickies sounds like fun......however, not much in the way of common sense. :read:

Nah, I disagree.  In protected water, not like boat is sitting low - very long ways from the point where its going to ship water or anything like that, still got up and ran, just (most likely) way over any and every number on the placard

The alcohol on the other hand.....:howdy: