Skydynamics

Surf Rod Reel Combo

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm looking for a surf setup. 11' MH. Looking to spend under $500. I have the Lamiglas Carbon Surf and Saragosa on the list. I'm open to get them used. Any other recommendations?

That's a fine setup for the $. If you want to buy new and save some $, a Penn Slammer III and Tsunami Airwave Elite 10'6 will keep you under budget and armed with a nice rod/reel.

I think your choice is great for the budget. I have the 9’ carbon surf and think it’s a great rod in the $200 range.  I have a couple st croix mojos and I like the guides better on the carbon surf. Overall I think quality is better.  The 11’ should also be a nice rod.  Although I am mostly a Penn guy, I have the Saragossa 6000 and it would be ideal on 11’ MH rod.  You could save $100 and get a 5500 spinfisher VI that would also be a great setup.  

The Slammer and Spinfishers are better for surf fishing because they offer some level of water resistance. You'll see the IPX5/IPX6 water resistance ratings on the reels. The Battle will work on the surf, but you must keep it completely dry. 

Well at least for myself, I find it challenging to use my plugging rods as bait fishing set-ups. Alot of my fishing is done were there is heavy currents.I do try to fish the slack tides.It’s kind of hard to throw say 4oz and bait on a rod that’s rated 1-3 1/2oz for lures.The advice  that’s been given to me many times is do tons of research.But as you will find out before you know it you’ll have a pile of set-ups(very addicting)for all types of fishing.