Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

DIY Ceiling lights question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Might be easy task for most of you guys but I have zero clue. 

I have these older type of lights with a flood/LED style bulb that puts out pretty light in our kitchen. The other day one of them flickering and I had to find a single replacement which realize I don't have. I have to replace them with all 4 same color so they match. 

My question is, the outer ring, is that just clip on? Glue? The bulb goes deep inside this hole into a regular bulb socket. The outer ring might be separate from the socket, but I can't tell. 

Thinking of these flat LED retro fit from amazon. So they can plug in play....... (ideally)

Thoughts?

20210503_203801.jpg

Edited by foxfai

:howdy:

take the bulb out, and peep inside. There may be two springs attached. Grab your needle nose and unclip them.or if you’re daring, do it by hand.

also some of them had tension prongs which held them in place. Ya should be able to grab the ring, and twist, and pull down

8F981651-063C-4A9F-A0C8-1D0A93A96AA1.jpeg

3A74EB78-99EA-4E5B-9B14-D16AC15B61A0.jpeg

And Yes! Get yourself the one piece style bulbs. A lot of them come with a spectrum switch to choose your type of lighting. Warm to cool. Don’t tell the wife though :)

Remove bulb. Reach up and you will feel a spring on either side of that trim piece. Fingers or pliers to remove/pull springs from unit. Discard trim piece. Screw in the new retrofit wire piece. Connect it to the LED lamp, squeeze arms together and push up into place. I used the ones from Halo. Also suggest getting the ones that allow you to adjust the color/brightness right on the unit. You may have to play around with tabs inside your existing can to find the place the arms want to sit in order to hold the unit securely and flush to the ceiling. (the arms may need to catch on the tabs that are bent 90 degrees into the can. When you see this, you will get it.) Simple process. Easy money when I get paid to do this.

Ideally, you want to also change to an LED dimmer as well....

Edited by nightfighter

Ok, thanks guys. I'll look into the trim piece.

Any LED retro fit bulbs recommendations? 

halo makes a led retro fit .  remove the bulb and trim piece.the retro has a wired threaded end to screw into the original socket. push up the led and your done. just make sure you know what size you need.  the common one does both 5/6 inch but some older recessed an be 7 or 8 inch.you shouldnt pay more then 29.00 each.  you can choose the color you want as they are 5 color selectable.  make sure you use a led dimmer with them

h.jpg

Edited by coolhandfluke

On 5/4/2021 at 2:01 PM, foxfai said:

all stores sell led bulbs.  other then getting a br30 style which you have , you would be good to go. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:01 PM, foxfai said:

Sunco lighting had good lights. I have used their new construction lights and retro fit lights. Did my last house and current house with their products. Had one go bad and the sent me a replacement promptly. They were less than $10 a piece

Edited by odiemike86
more description

55 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Sunco lighting had good lights. I have used their new construction lights and retro fit lights. Did my last house and current house with their products. Had one go bad and the sent me a replacement promptly. They were less than $10 a piece

curious as to what color light output as the website doesnt say for the retro units  they are also good for 35k hours and are 16.00 each.    the halo are 70k hours rated and color selectable 2700k 3000k 3500k 4000k 5000k with a push of a switch . not saying sunco are bad.

Edited by coolhandfluke

Just now, coolhandfluke said:

curious as to what color light output as the website doesnt say for the retro units  they are also good for 35k hours and are 15.00 each.    the halo are 70k hours rated and color selectable 2700k 3000k 3500k 4000k 5000k with a push of a switch  . not saying they are bad.

I ordered them off of Amazon and the different listings had the different spectrums. It seems their prices are cheaper on amazon than on their website. i went with 3k, 4k and 5k and above seem too white/blue for me. I needed 3" lights for my kitchen rehab and went with the Lithonia brand  slim lights which have the switch for different outputs. 

15 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

I ordered them off of Amazon and the different listings had the different spectrums. It seems their prices are cheaper on amazon than on their website. i went with 3k, 4k and 5k and above seem too white/blue for me. I needed 3" lights for my kitchen rehab and went with the Lithonia brand  slim lights which have the switch for different outputs. 

nice.

its funny how in jersey most of what we sell is 4k or 5k but over the bridge they prefer 27k or 3000k

i prefer the higher k. its brighter but if its too bright,dim it down.  cant add light once its in is my belief.

1 min ago, coolhandfluke said:

nice.

its funny how in jersey most of what we sell is 4k or 5k but over the bridge they prefer 27k or 3000k

i prefer the higher k. its brighter but if its too bright,dim it down.  cant add light once its in is my belief.

Never thought about lighting preference being regional but makes sense.  Goin forward im going to keep using the type where you can change the spectrum because the wife keeps changing her mind on the color of the lights lol

On 5/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, foxfai said:

Might be easy task for most of you guys but I have zero clue. 

I have these older type of lights with a flood/LED style bulb that puts out pretty light in our kitchen. The other day one of them flickering and I had to find a single replacement which realize I don't have. I have to replace them with all 4 same color so they match. 

My question is, the outer ring, is that just clip on? Glue? The bulb goes deep inside this hole into a regular bulb socket. The outer ring might be separate from the socket, but I can't tell. 

Thinking of these flat LED retro fit from amazon. So they can plug in play....... (ideally)

Thoughts?

20210503_203801.jpg

I'm not a big Home Depot fan bit but I just replaced my old style from there.

It's a contractor pack I believe. 4 lights were $22.99 ish.

Remove old light and trim like everyone said here, screw in sockett, adjust light brightness which is a switch on the bulb, plug in and fit in place.

Took all of 5 minutes to do and makes a world of a difference. Super simple 

20210123_170843.jpg

Edited by NJ Dave