Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eddy

catfish

12 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, eddy said:

no chance it's a white catfish?

The narrow head and the deeply forked tail in the bottom pic, are characteristic of a channel cat. White cats have a rounder head, and their tails aren’t as deeply forked ,and also rounded at the ends.

How big was it? It looks pretty big in the pic. If it was a white cat, it would be an exceptional catch.

26 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

The narrow head and the deeply forked tail in the bottom pic, are characteristic of a channel cat. White cats have a rounder head, and their tails aren’t as deeply forked ,and also rounded at the ends.

How big was it? It looks pretty big in the pic. If it was a white cat, it would be an exceptional catch.

Right, white cats are the largest member of the bullhead family. Their head is big and round due to the massive jaw muscles just like their smaller cousins.

I believe white cats also have white chin barbels, channels always have dark chin barbels.

Regardless, it is a nice channel.

32 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

15.5 pounds

I will add that channel catfish can grow enormously wide heads when they get larger and transition from generalists to primarily predatory.

I have seen and caught 32in channels with head widths pushing 7in to 8in in width. Those monsters are usually stuffed with all manner of blue gills, walleye, and bass.

Edited by Beastly Backlash