Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

Bifocals or Progressives?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Well, it's finally time: I had an eye exam last week, and I need bifocals. I can still see OK up close without any glasses, but I can't see dick with them on, and there are times when that sucks, like if I'm working on a fishing rod and I look up to watch the third race from Yavapai Downs -- not wearin' my glasses, I can't see the damn TV. So I gotta put 'em on, then take 'em back off again when I look down. 

I've never had to wear them before, so what should I get? I kinda like the simplicity of bifocals, and as an added bonus, if I ever **** my pants, the line in the lenses will give me that "clueless old man" look that the ladies love. But a guy I saw the other day, an old friend I saw at a funeral, swore to me that progressives are the only way to go. 

Feel free to opine on the merits of old-fashioned bifocals versus progressives. 

And, in conclusion, Bellringer sucks. :th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, Belmo said:

I had an eye exam last week, but I can't see dick with them, and there are times when that sucks

Shocking :dismay:

Edited by Sandflee

Bifocals, tried the progressives and simply could not adjust to them.

Eye Dr told me at the time sme people  can't wear them. Was also told not to get contacts due to work conditions

15 mins ago, Belmo said:

Well, it's finally time: I had an eye exam last week, and I need bifocals. I can still see OK up close without any glasses, but I can't see dick with them on, and there are times when that sucks, like if I'm working on a fishing rod and I look up to watch the third race from Yavapai Downs -- not wearin' my glasses, I can't see the damn TV. So I gotta put 'em on, then take 'em back off again when I look down. 

I've never had to wear them before, so what should I get? I kinda like the simplicity of bifocals, and as an added bonus, if I ever **** my pants, the line in the lenses will give me that "clueless old man" look that the ladies love. But a guy I saw the other day, an old friend I saw at a funeral, swore to me that progressives are the only way to go. 

Feel free to opine on the merits of old-fashioned bifocals versus progressives. 

And, in conclusion, Bellringer sucks. :th:

My Dad was an Optometrist and suggested the progressives.... really tried to make it work for a while but there is very little midrange(computer, music reading, newspaper). Plus the added feeling of falling when you look down(reading zone) to go down a fight of stairs.... very weird and unbalanced feeling. Unrelated but the timing was right and  had cataract art surgery in both eyes with the $3000x2@(ouch! as insurance doesn’t cover those) No Rx after that expect for $2cheaters for reading(astigmatism) most don’t need anything. I mention high $ lenses cause you only get free lenses if you opt into the normal ones... doesn’t improve the vision you had before surgery..... fwiw bets $4000 I ever spent on myself. 
If you need midrange(computer, close in work) have your Dr just write a a Rx for that 

Cheap and done. 

15 mins ago, MarkG said:

My Dad was an Optometrist and suggested the progressives.... really tried to make it work for a while but there is very little midrange(computer, music reading, newspaper). Plus the added feeling of falling when you look down(reading zone) to go down a fight of stairs.... very weird and unbalanced feeling. Unrelated but the timing was right and  had cataract art surgery in both eyes with the $3000x2@(ouch! as insurance doesn’t cover those) No Rx after that expect for $2cheaters for reading(astigmatism) most don’t need anything. I mention high $ lenses cause you only get free lenses if you opt into the normal ones... doesn’t improve the vision you had before surgery..... fwiw bets $4000 I ever spent on myself. 
If you need midrange(computer, close in work) have your Dr just write a a Rx for that 

Cheap and done. 

Too bad you didn't fall down a flight of stairs and crack your empty skull. 

19 mins ago, MarkG said:

Cheap and done. 

This is very true about the stairs you are better off with muscle memory than looking down. Also you have that tendency to lock your neck when you find the sweet spot. Always had the progressives and can't comment of the lined bifocals.

Went from bifocals to progs and couldn't get used to them at first. Things where you have to look down and focus then look up and focus, like golf or looking at the form then the monitor then the form,  bifocals worked better. As my eyes got worse the progs worked better for distance and close up, spend the extra 50$ and  get used to the progs. Another 50$ and get transition (shades) if you're gonna use them outside.

i had to do this a couple years ago and went with the progressives. no regerts! took some getting use to, but not too bad. that said, know quite a few people that couldn't get used to them. i think the conventional wisdom here is go with the progressives, but you might have to go with bifocals if you can't. i have a hunch it has lot to do with the fitting, because they kind of just put the glasses on your face and makes some marks where they think the lenses should change. 

Progressive.  But if I was sitting a screen I might get a second pair for that.  Went down stairs like an old woman for a bit before I got used to them. 

1 hour ago, slicedcornbread said:

Too bad you didn't fall down a flight of stairs and crack your empty skull. 

Too bad you have nothing else to do except weakly try to make fun of someone trying to help someone else make a decision.... 

especially since you have compromised eyesight...please make note I’m not making fun of it. 

You win today’s Mr.Compassionless award for being just unhelpful. 

Just now, MarkG said:

Too bad you have nothing else to do except weakly try to make fun of someone trying to help someone else make a decision.... 

especially since you have compromised eyesight...please make note I’m not making fun of it. 

You win today’s Mr.Compassionless award for being just unhelpful. 

Maybe if we're lucky, someone will push you down the stairs.