blake30615

Private vs. Public unions

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Not sure why a home builder would ever use union labor. Outrageously high hourly wages and limited productivity . We have 10 digit homes being built here , all incredibly high quality , top end beautiful finish work and fixtures. Every single one is a non union project. Most of The companies building them have been around for 30+ years with great safety records Proud non union members. 

I'm not talking about small home build outs(although homebuilders more and more are relying on illegals)I work mostly in Manhattan on huge jobs from a dozen floors all the way up to 60 stories or more. Can you imagine non union scabs that speak little english working under those circumstances. would be and is a disaster. Deaths, The Non union GC's try to save money, but end up paying out more at the end of the day.

11 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

Unions are what's wrong with America.  

Public are, not Private. If you look at the history of unions you will realize why you have a 40 hour work week and OT after that if your an hourly employee, have breaks after 4 hours, and so on. Our generations past suffered horrible working conditions, hence unions, but certain public unions took advantage of this and got selfish and lazy.

Edited by blake30615

5 hours ago, cleatis said:

I’m all for an easy work day but the culture I’ve experienced with unions is negative and work avoiding for the most part. 

Everyone has to decide for themselves if they side with management or labor.  The robber barons of the late nineteenth century pushed most people towards siding with labor.  Now, the tide has turned with more and more people siding with management.  You would think that the distribution of wealth would be the controlling factor, but it does not seem to work that way.

I side with management.

Edited by oc1

my old man loves to tell this story...he was working on top of a building in HArtford in March....said he was never so cold in his life...says to the guy working with him...lets work a little faster, maybe we'll warm up.....guy says, "I'd rather freeze". 

On 5/3/2021 at 10:43 PM, gellfex said:

It's not just NYC. They tried to start up the schools here and 1/6 of the teachers refused to show up.

Fire them.  They work for the tax payer. They do not work for the union.

Cabo

4 hours ago, oc1 said:

Everyone has to decide for themselves if they side with management or labor.  The robber barons of the late nineteenth century pushed most people towards siding with labor.  Now, the tide has turned with more and more people siding with management.  You would think that the distribution of wealth would be the controlling factor, but it does not seem to work that way.

I side with management.

In my case I side with management also.

Cabo

5 hours ago, oc1 said:

I side with management.

The robber barons of today are slicker. They've made an art form of using wedge issues, identity politics and disinformation to get people to vote against their own best interest both in the union issue and in politics. But the concentration of wealth is the same. All this stimulus and relief money will ultimately end up in the hands of the same few. 

I'm no wild eyed Bolshevik, I'm a landlord for Gods sake, but I think this inequality is out of control. It's no coincidence that it and CEO pay took off on steroids in 1980.  It was when the Neocons took power and with them the idea of shareholder primacy, meaning among other things that workers were not stakeholders, but simply feedstock like steel or corn.

mishel+2.jpg

On 5/3/2021 at 10:43 PM, gellfex said:

It's not just NYC. They tried to start up the schools here and 1/6 of the teachers refused to show up.

Reagan knew how to handle it.

4 mins ago, metaliczombi said:

Reagan knew how to handle it.

You must have missed the part about the Union controlling their employers the BOE. Last election it was Teachers Union slate vs Greedy Developers slate. It was like 'do you want to be eaten by hyenas or vultures?'

7 mins ago, gellfex said:

You must have missed the part about the Union controlling their employers the BOE. Last election it was Teachers Union slate vs Greedy Developers slate. It was like 'do you want to be eaten by hyenas or vultures?'

He fired them. 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, HugeDinghy said:

a crooked cop who did time for being dirty, bitching about public unions....you cant make this stuff up. :laugh:

:laugh: *ly, I don't come here for the food.

1 hour ago, metaliczombi said:

He fired them. 

Yes I knew that, I was an adult at the time. My point was they're their own boss when the union controls the BOE, and not going to be fired.