blake30615

Private vs. Public unions

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, bridgerat said:

The main issue I have with unions especially the teachers union is the pension/benefits for life. Fortune 500 companies have long abandoned pension programs because they are not viable anymore. People live much longer and costs have soared. Guaranteeing someone pay for the rest of their life is putting an unfair burden on those that are left holding the bag; local  tax payers.

finally I can agree with you. see, we can agree on something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

finally I can agree with you. see, we can agree on something.

Believe it or not, I’m a fiscal conservative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bridgerat said:

Believe it or not, I’m a fiscal conservative.

cool, i am a gay black man. we can get along!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most public unions suck. $$$ wasted and not fiscally stable. Private ones I am sure some are good and some not so good. Certain trades need to be unionized, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

Unions are what's wrong with America.  

Wrong!

 

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in NH and I’m self employed. The city of Nashua NH has to come up with nine million dollars next year to cover pensions costs because the state isn’t covering costs like they used to. So basically the tax payers are footing the bill via raised property taxes. Glad I don’t live in that city anymore. Public pensions should be abolished. The former deputy fire chief of that town retired about three years after thirty yrs of service. His pension is 9800$ a month. My mom taught for thirty five yrs in Nashua and her pension is 3300$ a month but she does collect ss benefits to the tune of 1400$ a month after taxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 2:59 PM, TimS said:

My wife is a union teacher and hasn’t missed a day of work yet. Your information is incorrect.

Mine too, she's been at it everyday. You either join the union or there is no tenure, and afterward, you either stay in the union or risk having your classes scheduled by someone who is. Its not like we have a proud union member sign outside our house. But it really is a line of garbage that teachers aren't working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Union labor is not for home builders.

Limited productivity you say?

Not the guys that work for me.

Skilled trained professionals. 

Just got a new guy on the crew.  

My Union organized him and a couple hundred others.

He said they got paid a poor wage and got treated like ****.

The non Union welders just blew up a door that they had their wires pinched in! The building owner is pissed. They are hacks!

To each his own. 

 

 

The companies doing the electrical, plumbing , painting on these projects are all multi million dollar companies , some with 30/40 guys and they flat out refuse to deal with unions. The dividing line seems to be the William Floyd. As you said , to each his own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

The companies doing the electrical, plumbing , painting on these projects are all multi million dollar companies , some with 30/40 guys and they flat out refuse to deal with unions. The dividing line seems to be the William Floyd. As you said , to each his own. 

They refuse to deal with unions because they pay there help a small amount and pocket the rest.

They put all apprentices on the job then pay the fine when the inspector shows.over and over its cheaper than hiring a skilled guy.

Many times we go in when the can't get it done. 

 

That's my union  IBEW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, bridgerat said:

The main issue I have with unions especially the teachers union is the pension/benefits for life. Fortune 500 companies have long abandoned pension programs because they are not viable anymore. People live much longer and costs have soared. Guaranteeing someone pay for the rest of their life is putting an unfair burden on those that are left holding the bag; local  tax payers.

Nobody should be forced to pay for anyone (and their spouse) for life.  It’s pure socialism and entitlement mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Mine too, she's been at it everyday. You either join the union or there is no tenure,.

Fairly positive that isn’t true.

 

Teachers can refuse to join the union now since the supreme court ruling a few years ago.  Before this ruling, teachers could opt out, but would be forced to pay an agency fee, which essentially meant they still paid dues and were protected by the contract, but couldnt vote.  Now teachers are free to leave the union and dont have to pay any agency fee, but are still protected by the same contract as dues-paying members.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, north-shore fisha said:

Fairly positive that isn’t true.

 

Teachers can refuse to join the union now since the supreme court ruling a few years ago.  Before this ruling, teachers could opt out, but would be forced to pay an agency fee, which essentially meant they still paid dues and were protected by the contract, but couldnt vote.  Now teachers are free to leave the union and dont have to pay any agency fee, but are still protected by the same contract as dues-paying members.  

Pretty sure that’s how it goes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, RL Bucktails said:

Nobody should be forced to pay for anyone (and their spouse) for life.  It’s pure socialism and entitlement mentality.

Entire country should have same plan across board from congress to ditch digger. Straight percentages, matching and tax free. Every plan should have set percentages for managing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.