blake30615

Private vs. Public unions

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I'm in a private construction union and if you don't carry your weight your laid off. It seems the opposite for  a lot of public unions in New York, the lazier you are the more rewards. What's up with Police, Firemen, EMS, Doctors and nurses working through covid, but these lazy teacher unions refuse to work. Isn't 4 months off enough without Covid. Non union teachers are working.

1 hour ago, blake30615 said:

but these lazy teacher unions refuse to work.

My wife is a union teacher and hasn’t missed a day of work yet. Your information is incorrect.

8 mins ago, TimS said:

My wife is a union teacher and hasn’t missed a day of work yet. Your information is incorrect.

If I were not so lazy I would look back and find your description of the teacher's union leaders.  It was not flattering.

You guys are not alone.  It's like that everywhere now.  My fear is that the union shenanigans are destroying the good reputation of teachers in general. 

Edited by oc1

4 mins ago, cleatis said:

I thought popular opinion is all unions suck. 

Nope. Construction unions earn their money in NYC. You work hard, long hours, freezing temps, blistering summers, breath in all kinds of chit. Almost cut my thumb off, Broken knee cap, 3 knee surgeries, Herniated discs, Torn rotator cuff, broken toes etc... My union package is 72 an hour without overtime. non union scabs get 15 an hour and no benefits. Nys has about 30 deaths a year in my trade. 90% are non union. We have to take refresher courses every year. 

32 mins ago, cleatis said:

I thought popular opinion is all unions suck. 

The main issue I have with unions especially the teachers union is the pension/benefits for life. Fortune 500 companies have long abandoned pension programs because they are not viable anymore. People live much longer and costs have soared. Guaranteeing someone pay for the rest of their life is putting an unfair burden on those that are left holding the bag; local  tax payers.

Yes. In private unions the Contractor pays into our benefits at no cost to tax payers, in public unions the tax payer pays for this, hence why my taxes are 20,000 a year. If your from NY look up "seethroughny.com" and see the outrageous pensions and salaries of public unions

1 min ago, blake30615 said:

Yes. In private unions the Contractor pays into our benefits at no cost to tax payers, in public unions the tax payer pays for this, hence why my taxes are 20,000 a year. If your from NY look up "seethroughny.com" and see the outrageous pensions and salaries of public unions

.net not com

Private union negotiations are in good faith between labor and management, public are a public relations power play where union members implicitly or explicitly threaten elected officials to give them what they want or they'll make hell come election time. In my city the teachers union controls the BoE, how messed up is that? We pay staff in the 90th percentile in NJ, which means in the nation, and spend in the 15th percentile on extracurriculars. My kid's HS, always ranked top 10 in NJ and top 100 nationally, had zero afterschool music programs.

Every community meeting with the cops, if you ask a question like " why do you have 1/5 of the force on vacation at any given time in the summer, when crime is highest?", the captain will say "its in the contract", like that wasn't what they demanded.

2 hours ago, blake30615 said:

Nope. Construction unions earn their money in NYC. You work hard, long hours, freezing temps, blistering summers, breath in all kinds of chit. Almost cut my thumb off, Broken knee cap, 3 knee surgeries, Herniated discs, Torn rotator cuff, broken toes etc... My union package is 72 an hour without overtime. non union scabs get 15 an hour and no benefits. Nys has about 30 deaths a year in my trade. 90% are non union. We have to take refresher courses every year. 

I agree, worked with private unions for 30 years now.  Government unions are a different story, personally I think they should be illegal.  There is no one advocating for the tax payer. Way too much opportunity for corruption, quid pro quo.

“It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government.”

That wasn’t Newt Gingrich, or Ron Paul, or Ronald Reagan talking. That was George Meany -- the former president of the A.F.L.-C.I.O -- in 1955. Government unions are unremarkable today, but the labor movement once thought the idea absurd.

4 hours ago, oc1 said:

If I were not so lazy I would look back and find your description of the teacher's union leaders.  It was not flattering.

Teacher’s union leaders literally have nothing to do with the teachers - they are more like gangsters. The teachers don’t like them either. What’s that got to do with the fact my wife hasn’t missed a day of work while Blake says they refuse to work? 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Teacher’s union leaders literally have nothing to do with the teachers - they are more like gangsters. The teachers don’t like them either. What’s that got to do with the fact my wife hasn’t missed a day of work while Blake says they refuse to work? 

Tim, me and you would have a great BBQ, I'm talking about NYC, and the BS going on there. They need to get their asses back in the classroom. No dispute on your wife and that part of teaching in NJ. 

39 mins ago, blake30615 said:

Tim, me and you would have a great BBQ, I'm talking about NYC, and the BS going on there. They need to get their asses back in the classroom. No dispute on your wife and that part of teaching in NJ. 

It's not just NYC. They tried to start up the schools here and 1/6 of the teachers refused to show up.