MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

A cinderblock might do it

I may have to daisychain some sinkers together if 6 Oz hatteris won’t hold

Very well said @nam1969!!! I walk these sands and dirt thinking of the many that have made history and built our Flag to what it is today. Very important for all to remember this and to make sure we pass our history onto our children because it seems history is trying to be erased in many ways. Thank you Bob and to all those that define this nations strength and freedom. Let it be known that your sacrifice will never be forgotten. 

11 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Let's remember what this weekend is really about. The freedoms we enjoy, the ability to fish when and where we want (within the limits designated by regulations and the wives approvals), and the latitude to express our opinions were all paid for by men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice. A small minority of Americans insure these God given rights by serving in our armed forces and signing a blank check up to laying down their lives. I have had the honor and privilege of knowing and serving with some of these comrades. On Monday I will attend a ceremony to remember them. I recently lost my Sgt. from my #3 gun (artillery) who was hit with chemical bullets in Vietnam and finally succumbed to the cancer produced by his exposure. You won't see his name on the Wall in Washington, but he is a casualty of that war. So was my driver who earlier died of the same ravaging illness. I think of childhood friends and those I trained with who paid the ultimate price. I remember Lynda Vandevanter, a close friend who attended to wounded GIs in field hospitals in Nam, another casualty of chemical bullets. I see the face of Donnie Brower as he left for the Marine Corps, waving to me, neither of us realizing he would never return from the war. 

From the inception of this Republic men and women have given their lives for it's preservation. On Monday, take a moment to remember them in your prayers. If you can, go to a monument in your local community and lay a flower or leave a note thanking them. Enjoy the day fishing or being with family, but take the opportunity to tell those you are with what the day truly represents. Instruct you children and grandchildren so that they will understand that our freedoms have a price. 

On March 24, 1970, Capt. Michael O'Donnell's helicopter was shot down in Vietnam and he was killed. Sometime before he had gone on that mission he wrote a poem addressing it to his comrades who were serving in Vietnam. It was meant to honor those who died in combat, not knowing he would be one of them. It is poignant and moving:

If you are able, save them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always.

Take what they left and what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in a time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

I always have a place in my heart for the soldiers who were KIA and for those who made it back from any war. I have never served so I don’t know what it’s like. 
My dad served in Korea and we were raised to respect the flag and our country. 
Thanks to all our armed services for service today, tomorrow and yesterday.

USA....if you don’t like it. Get the F out.

Eeeeels.........

tried to fish this storm tonight and it was close to impossible. And definitely not smart. Unbelievable left to right sweep. Cliff of sand where beach replenishment money was being literally washed away. Couple casts and I gave in. Tried the back but it feels pointless. 

More importantly, be safe and not fishing just getting around. It’s crazy out there. Roads flooded everywhere. Town here is locked down in & out for road access due to high water. Bulkheads I’ve never seen close to breaching look close. 

And drunk “bennies” everywhere. Haha. 

Yea, took my son to and from Manasquan last night- when he first asked a few days ago to be the uber driver i was thinking i could fish from 10 to 2am while he enjoyed himself with college buddies- this storm shut that down- whole cottege area was just about passable and kids walking around the flooding on the roads did not help. If it been a full moon more then a few cars would be flooded. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, EricDice said:

tried to fish this storm tonight and it was close to impossible. And definitely not smart. Unbelievable left to right sweep. Cliff of sand where beach replenishment money was being literally washed away. Couple casts and I gave in. Tried the back but it feels pointless. 

More importantly, be safe and not fishing just getting around. It’s crazy out there. Roads flooded everywhere. Town here is locked down in & out for road access due to high water. Bulkheads I’ve never seen close to breaching look close. 

And drunk “bennies” everywhere. Haha. 

I dunno about NJ, but mass is supposed to get hit with round #2 of this snot this afternoon. I got a little fishing in in the calm slot last nite. As in "fishing", not "catching." :p

Ill be glad when this moves out late Monday.

Edited by bdowning

24 mins ago, Goldy said:

Im actually enjoying watching our tax dollars get washed away.  (Beach replenishment).  

I agree, mostly. There’s almost an “I told you so” kind of satisfaction.