MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Micronerd15 said:

@nam1969u r a voice of wisdom. ran out at dead low between meetings and realized working north looked better then south (which i typically do) based on pools and cuts. Got out early to hit incoming (5-7) and stuck with the paddletail. Voila, the bass skunk is dead. Won't win any prizes but happy to finally land some stripes. And to get it in before the rain a bonus. Thank you for the insights. Much appreciated.

26May21.jpg

Congrats. Glad you scored. You'll have to learn to take photos like @DeeMonee . Makes them look 4 times bigger than they are!

Fished the Dead Sea this morning, MoCo, from 6:30 to 8:15. Not a tap. Decent wave action on an incoming tide. No cabbage. Water was slightly off color. NW wind made for easy long distance casting. As @unclemikenj photos show, whale was doing his thing. Fishing boat stopped briefly to let the day trippers see him perform. I'm sure many of them have never seen that. I have and I always stop fishing to watch it. Never gets old.

Out front in OC from 5a-7a.  Water was good and fished a nice hole.  2 bumps before sun came up and missed on both.  One on a white paddle tail and one on rubber eel.  Fluke fisherman next to me didn’t hook up neither.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finally broke the skunk streak this AM. MoCo, sunrise 1hr, middle of incoming, light WNW wind, water stained and cold, but with decent surf action. Got a 25” bass that took plastic and a shad that jumped out of the wash to get the teaser. Weather is not optimistic for the weekend but maybe will keep the crowds away. 

FD3F4DF2-C7C1-497E-9FBA-D1565327388B.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

11 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Flip that one one the other side for 3 more minutes in the sun while getting your camera ready and he's almost fully cooked....its a single hook, in daylight.  No reason to take it out of the water. Glad you caught a fish but we all know what they look like. Time to start changing bad habits.

Really?  A few minutes out of the water to take a quick pic is no harm done.  If I saw him kicking it back in the water, yeah, then I have a problem.  Applaud his success.

Water was back to the deep freeze this morning after the SE wind.  Looked good but lugging pepi on my back.  Spent more time sending out the bugs thinking that might be the way to go, but not a touch.  Let's see what the nor'easter does.  Let's hope it moves these fish to the dinner table 

Edited by MC55

3 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Congrats. Glad you scored. You'll have to learn to take photos like @DeeMonee . Makes them look 4 times bigger than they are!

Ha! Indeed. It’s all about perspective. Congrats @Micronerd15 on your first bass with stripes. You’ll never forget your first. 

Edited by DeeMonee

3 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Give the kid a break. There's nicer ways to instruct/educate. It's his first bass. He was stoked. It swam away.

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Really?  A few minutes out of the water to take a quick pic is no harm done.  If I saw him kicking it back in the water, yeah, then I have a problem.  Applaud his success.

Thanks @nam1969 @MC55 for the support AND to @SIC34 for the feedback. No offense taken on the method. Agree, keeping fish in the water or out for a short as possible is best practice. I can attest she swam away relieved.

keepemwet. Its great you caught your first fish- I admit I have in past taken photos then I was turned onto the keepemwet science. Every little bit helps- backflips off the bridges are not a great thing either.  

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

Water was back to the deep freeze this morning after the SE wind.  Looked good but lugging pepi on my back.  Spent more time sending out the bugs thinking that might be the way to go, but not a touch.  Let's see what the nor'easter does.  Let's hope it moves these fish to the dinner table 

Ok @MC55, it's crunch time for us. All the animal sacrifices haven't placated Jobu. I'm thinking sweat lodge time. Might as well purify the spirit. Worked for the Native Americans. We'll need willow branches, a couple of tarps, and a fire pit with some rocks. Let me know what you can contribute and I'll get right on it. I thought of sacrificing a couple of your swimmers on the fire, but realized the toxic smoke might be counterproductive.

4 hours ago, suntzu said:

He is inside of where i wade at low tide Bunkers going bezerk - dolphins picking up the scraps Fun to watch

0D7F2ED9-6988-4BE0-B56F-B390ED77F84E.jpeg

I guess the guy sleeping off last nights bender could care less

Took my skiff out with my brother today. My brother had one bite all day but made it count with a 19" fluke. I didn't even sniff a fish. 60 degree water towards the front, up to 67 way in the back. Water clarity good down here in south jersey. Some seaweed.

I did get the chance to use the trolling motor while fluking though and it didn't produce anything but was effective in doing what I wanted it to do. There was no drift at all on the incoming, O to .33 mph. Created our own drift while everyone sat still but nothing doing. Used it to slow a 2.5 mph drift down to 1.25 and prevent us from bumping into land constantly too. I definitely think it's gonna be valuable for me in the future and appreciate the feedback from folks here.

We got checked by the game Warden as well. He reported very little keeper action on the fluke front down here in south jersey. Said it's you miscreants up north who keep all the illegal fish too, not down here lol.