MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

I am going way way south for the holiday weekend.  The temperatures are expected to drop and it is expected to be very windy - especially Saturday.  I am not sure how to approach the fishing with the expected conditions - and honestly, I would be happy with Stripers, Blues, or Flounder... just looking for something.  Any advice would be appreciated.  A direct message if you have really good advice or suggestions  :-)  Thanks.

thanks for help guys i really appreciate. All you guys are amazing at fishing. trying to learn just a little of what you all know. I need to learn how to read the water. Learn what to look for to recognize holes and sand bars.  My neighbor got me into fishing about 30 years ago.  He was very well know but I was too young to really know what to ask him. Wish he was still around.  Back in the day when we had the jetties. He would rake for calico crabs and had a baby pool in the basement where he kept them.  Was really amazing thing to what someone who really knew the art of fishing.  

2 hours ago, bechill11 said:

thanks for help guys i really appreciate. All you guys are amazing at fishing. trying to learn just a little of what you all know. I need to learn how to read the water. Learn what to look for to recognize holes and sand bars.  My neighbor got me into fishing about 30 years ago.  He was very well know but I was too young to really know what to ask him. Wish he was still around.  Back in the day when we had the jetties. He would rake for calico crabs and had a baby pool in the basement where he kept them.  Was really amazing thing to what someone who really knew the art of fishing.  

I had a shed tank but then i got a wife you was not interested in having a shed tank in her house; eel tank went as well.  I might be permitted to have a killie tank this year but only because of my nephews 

1 hour ago, Micronerd15 said:

@nam1969u r a voice of wisdom. ran out at dead low between meetings and realized working north looked better then south (which i typically do) based on pools and cuts. Got out early to hit incoming (5-7) and stuck with the paddletail. Voila, the bass skunk is dead. Won't win any prizes but happy to finally land some stripes. And to get it in before the rain a bonus. Thank you for the insights. Much appreciated.

26May21.jpg

Flip that one one the other side for 3 more minutes in the sun while getting your camera ready and he's almost fully cooked....its a single hook, in daylight.  No reason to take it out of the water. Glad you caught a fish but we all know what they look like. Time to start changing bad habits.

5 hours ago, suntzu said:

I had a shed tank but then i got a wife you was not interested in having a shed tank in her house; eel tank went as well.  I might be permitted to have a killie tank this year but only because of my nephews 

I cant wait to start throwing the killie trap with my son.  I toss it in and turn my back and before i know it he is pulling it in.   He is a year old come Snapper time. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:07 AM, bbfish said:

That rapid fire jigging style has been around for alot longer than its been on youtube for a reason...it works.

Exactly

8 hours ago, Micronerd15 said:

@nam1969u r a voice of wisdom. ran out at dead low between meetings and realized working north looked better then south (which i typically do) based on pools and cuts. Got out early to hit incoming (5-7) and stuck with the paddletail. Voila, the bass skunk is dead. Won't win any prizes but happy to finally land some stripes. And to get it in before the rain a bonus. Thank you for the insights. Much appreciated.

26May21.jpg

Congratulations!  I started 20 years ago, and it took me a while to find my first bass.  It’s a great feeling to finally see those stripes!

13 hours ago, Still Trying said:

I am going way way south for the holiday weekend.  The temperatures are expected to drop and it is expected to be very windy - especially Saturday.  I am not sure how to approach the fishing with the expected conditions - and honestly, I would be happy with Stripers, Blues, or Flounder... just looking for something.  Any advice would be appreciated.  A direct message if you have really good advice or suggestions  :-)  Thanks.

Plenty of accessible areas from sod banks from OC to WW. Wind at ur back to windy for noseeums and deer flys. Local shops set you up. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Congrats Micronerd15! 

My very first surf striped bass was all of 18" caught with 11-foot rod and an old Penn reel on clams at Pebbles Beach.  I couldn't be more thrilled!  

Edited by GeoffT