MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

Went out front in lower OC from 7:00-8:30.  Big surf but surprisingly only stained slightly with the south wind.  Was able to land one on a paddle tail and had one bump.  Haven’t brought one in since Mother’s Day so it was a nice feeling.206CAB22-0D14-45FF-9C47-07D5E5DD0333.jpeg.70f9cc31792e06db656a7ae63e60a209.jpeg

Got the skunk of my back last night! 9-11pm MoCo, 1 bluefish 10 minutes in to the outing, a few other taps before I ran out of fishable water. 

Outfront moco last night from 11pm to 12:30am.  South wind, pretty much full moon and outgoing tide.

Still lots of seaweed in the surf. Had to clean off the lure every other cast or so. Flew the skunk flag on the drive home.

Frustrated newbie. Outfront OC just now 6:45-8. light wind, white water and strong breakers yet long period between sets so also relatively flat water to work. fog rolling in. i know there's bars/structure since i see at low tide (near top of incoming now, I think). sporadic bait fish jumping no more than 10 feet in so something must be feeding. still on the skunk for bass. Not a bump. i worked about 100 yds of beach. i threw white on white bucktail/otter, black/silver mullet  paddletail, white/fleck eel paddletail, sp minnow (i think? swimmer; blue/silver) and even cordel pencil. Maybe too much variety/not enough time on each? gave each at least 10 casts. 

42 mins ago, Micronerd15 said:

Frustrated newbie. Outfront OC just now 6:45-8. light wind, white water and strong breakers yet long period between sets so also relatively flat water to work. fog rolling in. i know there's bars/structure since i see at low tide (near top of incoming now, I think). sporadic bait fish jumping no more than 10 feet in so something must be feeding. still on the skunk for bass. Not a bump. i worked about 100 yds of beach. i threw white on white bucktail/otter, black/silver mullet  paddletail, white/fleck eel paddletail, sp minnow (i think? swimmer; blue/silver) and even cordel pencil. Maybe too much variety/not enough time on each? gave each at least 10 casts. 

You covered the water column, so I don't think that's the problem. The only variable left is to move to another spot or a different tide and repeat.

On the beach at 6:30 this morning, MoCo. Overcast with SW wind. Moderate surf with decent white water. Water was stained, but started to clear at the tide flip, outgoing. Little to no cabbage. One beach had a ton of mussels washed up, a struggling horseshoe crab that I put back into the water, and a mess of chopped up bunker that had been on the menu at a Blue Fish Convention All You can Eat Buffet! 

Had two brief hookups that quickly came unbuttoned, one on an @MC55  yellow swimmer and the other on a 5 inch storm shad. The fish on the swimmer came partly out of the water and he was decent size (by today's revised standards). That was it for the 3 hours I fished. Only two other guys out in the areas I fished. Didn't see either of them hook up. Jobu is not pleased with the sacrifices that have been made! 

2 hours ago, Micronerd15 said:

10 casts are not enough, in my humble opinion. 100 yards of beach is way to little. I covered a couple of miles this morning. Don't get discouraged. Pickings are slim right now. Once you learn to read the beaches, the tides, and discover where the sweet spots are you'll do better. Watch every fisherman you see and don't be afraid to ask them questions. For every a..hole there are many decent guys and gals that will help you. I've met a lot of fisherman who were kind enough to help me and I've been paying that forward for many years. Go down at low tide and watch where the cuts and troughs are. Look for the sandbars and see how the water acts/reacts in that area. Look for structure and check the flow of water by jetties, during any tide. I particularly like to work the first two hours of outgoing. Other guys like incoming (not the s..t I experienced in Nam) tide. Good luck.

Thanks. Appreciate the insights. I am learning my beach/walkable area and finding the structure differences. Next layer for me is working tides relative when i can actual get out and fish, which is typically pre 8a and post 6p (around work; sound familiar anyone?). Also chatting with a couple of guys i see regularity and am incredibly appreciative of how helpful and open they are.  Really great community. Just like this forum. I'm in this for long haul and get it, old dog needs to learn new tricks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, nam1969 said:

10 casts are not enough, in my humble opinion. 100 yards of beach is way to little. I covered a couple of miles this morning. Don't get discouraged. Pickings are slim right now. Once you learn to read the beaches, the tides, and discover where the sweet spots are you'll do better. Watch every fisherman you see and don't be afraid to ask them questions. For every a..hole there are many decent guys and gals that will help you. I've met a lot of fisherman who were kind enough to help me and I've been paying that forward for many years. Go down at low tide and watch where the cuts and troughs are. Look for the sandbars and see how the water acts/reacts in that area. Look for structure and check the flow of water by jetties, during any tide. I particularly like to work the first two hours of outgoing. Other guys like incoming (not the s..t I experienced in Nam) tide. Good luck.

Much more accurate than my assessment :th:

but sometimes that is all the real estate one has or time allocation. 
Nam is correct, especially you have the time and beach access 

Edited by MarkG