MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Couldn't find it. Did find a video of a guy explaining scoping out which is the problem I was having for sure. I imagine in my boat I would have the bow facing against the current and I would deploy the trolling motor to a speed high enough to slow the boat drift but slow enough not to pull it forward

Check your PMs

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I know most folks use 1/2-1 oz bucktails from boats in the back when fluking but I just went and picked up some 1 1/2 oz which I don't normally carry for this week's trip. I mean the current must of been unusually strong because the drift was too fast (this time it'll be in my boat and I would try my trolling motor to combat this but this past trip was in my brother's boat). Anyone else experience this issue over the weekend or was it just in my waterway?

What door gunner does is put his stern into the current and bump the boat into reverse to control the drift. I have been doing it for 4 years and eliminates the need for a  drift sock.  Drift as fast or slow as you want by bumping into reverse in the direction you want.  Very productive way of fishing.  When tide is ripping you can slow down to the speed you want- lines straight down.  I do add a lot of hours to my motor though...

Edited by brentwayne

10 hours ago, brentwayne said:

What door gunner does is put his stern into the current and bump the boat into reverse to control the drift. I have been doing it for 4 years and eliminates the need for a  drift sock.  Drift as fast or slow as you want by bumping into reverse in the direction you want.  Very productive way of fishing.  When tide is ripping you can slow down to the speed you want- lines straight down.  I do add a lot of hours to my motor though...

Thank you, I did watch the video. It makes sense. In my case I have a 15' key west skiff with a tiller so that won't work out too well for me, but I have a riptide terrova on the bow and I should be able to put the bow into the current and deploy the trolling motor to a speed that slows down but does not overtake the current. I will report back next time I go out (assuming I need to deploy the trolling motor).

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Thank you, I did watch the video. It makes sense. In my case I have a 15' key west skiff with a tiller so that won't work out too well for me, but I have a riptide terrova on the bow and I should be able to put the bow into the current and deploy the trolling motor to a speed that slows down but does not overtake the current. I will report back next time I go out (assuming I need to deploy the trolling motor).

Great choice of boat!  We picked up a 219FS last year just before all hell broke loose in the boating world.  Would LOVE a trolling motor some day.

Water outback feels like lukewarm piss.  Might be time to join @DeeMonee.   I can provide the daily skunking..   When june hit's, it will be the mc55 sand flea strategy going forward

Still carrying the skunk in the bag.  Fishy looking water just no fish.  Tossed the swimmer and floated the bugs in a few rips and not a touch.  Back out on Thursday.

4 hours ago, brentwayne said:

Great choice of boat!  We picked up a 219FS last year just before all hell broke loose in the boating world.  Would LOVE a trolling motor some day.

I am happy with it! It's my first boat. I think I want to get a 21' center console next. I wouldn't mind staying with key west with something like you have and a Yamaha outboard on the back.

The anchor feature is nice and I'm getting use to trolling the banks for LMB but I'm sure it would be just as productive for stripers down in the salt as well. If I can control my drift better and get on more fish when others can't, I'll be convinced it's worth every dime. 

2 hours ago, bechill11 said:

when you guys says sand flees do you mean calico crabs or sand crab

Mole crabs.  The ones that dig into the sand as the water washes away. Usually if you dig with your hands 5-7 ft back from the water line you can find them. I’m in south Jersey so it is a gradual slope. Might not be the same in upper parts. Thinner water. 

35 mins ago, bechill11 said:

oh okay thank you , i know those. if you dont mind me asking. how do you rig those up? and do you tie them on with the elastic string?

No string. Straight on a circle hook and you're good to go. Theres a million different ways to fish it. The mc55 method involves drifting them. Its sorta the advanced way to do it. You can use a fishfinder rig or hi lo or egg sinker. Its up to you how you want to do it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Out back MoCo early this morning.  Infested with cocktail and taylor blues to the point I had to put my rods away so I could pedal to my destination.  But no bass showed up.  All were on the tube n worm.  

Edited by GeoffT