MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, richie c said:

Anyone know why the south jetty of the Shark river inlet is gated off ?

The whole light structure is washing out and falling. All the big granite boulders are cracking like eggshells. It started leaning over the winter. If you look at it you can see it’s in pretty bad shape. 
 

Eeeeels

Edited by Eeeeels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ctd450 said:

saw one going south last weekend too.  I think they're built at some ship yard in Tuckerton and go there periodically for service or repair.

Makes sense...thnx:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to what @DeeMonee described, conditions this morning in MoCo were ideal. Got to the beach by 5:30. Nice NE breeze that later stiffened and went due east. Overcast sky, after a brief burst of rays at sunrise. Water definitely warmed up some. Great looking white water and tide had just flipped to outgoing. Some cabbage, but definitely fishable. Goodly number of bunker in one particular spot, several of which showed all the signs of a bluefish attack. Did see one other fish chopped in half that looked like a spike. First one of those I've seen in the areas I fish. Did a little digging to check how the sand bugs were doing and there were not many in an area that usually has a ton of them.

Despite optimal conditions, I only had one solid hit and miss. Fished several spots and threw in the towel at 7:30. Disappointing. Did talk to a guy who had earlier fished a couple of towns south of me, with not a touch. Only saw two other guys out the entire time I was fishing. 

Since the chicken and goat sacrifices were a flop, looks like I'll have to go to a more exotic species. Maybe a ferret or a mongoose. Have to think about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Failed attempt at fruke out front. Lots of mussels in the surf. Porpoise and whale actively circling for a half hour or so by me. Not many bugs in the sand, but when I found a few, they were yoooge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Similar to what @DeeMonee described, conditions this morning in MoCo were ideal. Got to the beach by 5:30. Nice NE breeze that later stiffened and went due east. Overcast sky, after a brief burst of rays at sunrise. Water definitely warmed up some. Great looking white water and tide had just flipped to outgoing. Some cabbage, but definitely fishable. Goodly number of bunker in one particular spot, several of which showed all the signs of a bluefish attack. Did see one other fish chopped in half that looked like a spike. First one of those I've seen in the areas I fish. Did a little digging to check how the sand bugs were doing and there were not many in an area that usually has a ton of them.

Despite optimal conditions, I only had one solid hit and miss. Fished several spots and threw in the towel at 7:30. Disappointing. Did talk to a guy who had earlier fished a couple of towns south of me, with not a touch. Only saw two other guys out the entire time I was fishing. 

Since the chicken and goat sacrifices were a flop, looks like I'll have to go to a more exotic species. Maybe a ferret or a mongoose. Have to think about this.

I'm thinking sacrifice @DeeMonee.  He is the thread skunk :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put another skunk in the books for me this morning.  Good conditions and the water has warmed up again with the east wind, just no fish to be found.  Sent the bugs out but that didn't work either.  I guess they still haven't returned from their extended southern vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went fluking opening day, out front MoCo around high tide. Nothing doing on the fluke side. Water looked good for bass fishing so switched to bass. Brother got much more than he bargained for with a nicer bass in rough surf on the fluke rod. Didn’t get a measure, but it was certainly over 28”.

 

Released and left on a high note.

Edited by VF96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strapped on some korkers and took an absolute butt kicking Sunday morning before the crowds showed up. The tropical storm offshore was throwing some sketchy waves at high tide on the rocks of the jetty we hopping. We had a blast getting soaked and catching mostly small fish. I did catch a 28" bass and a 19" fluke. Bass went back and the fluke went into tacos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

The whole light structure is washing out and falling. All the big granite boulders are cracking like eggshells. It started leaning over the winter. If you look at it you can see it’s in pretty bad shape. 
 

Eeeeels

Thanks,,,,,Was just south of there the other day and saw it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know most folks use 1/2-1 oz bucktails from boats in the back when fluking but I just went and picked up some 1 1/2 oz which I don't normally carry for this week's trip. I mean the current must of been unusually strong because the drift was too fast (this time it'll be in my boat and I would try my trolling motor to combat this but this past trip was in my brother's boat). Anyone else experience this issue over the weekend or was it just in my waterway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I know most folks use 1/2-1 oz bucktails from boats in the back when fluking but I just went and picked up some 1 1/2 oz which I don't normally carry for this week's trip. I mean the current must of been unusually strong because the drift was too fast (this time it'll be in my boat and I would try my trolling motor to combat this but this past trip was in my brother's boat). Anyone else experience this issue over the weekend or was it just in my waterway?

You would really benefit from watching an episode of jersey cape fishing made by doorgunner. He goes over drifting for fluke and what to do when the drift is too fast. He was also fishing in the back like you are. Its on youtube I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, adams54 said:

You would really benefit from watching an episode of jersey cape fishing made by doorgunner. He goes over drifting for fluke and what to do when the drift is too fast. He was also fishing in the back like you are. Its on youtube I believe.

I will take a peak. Not familiar with him

Edited by hurricane1091

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, adams54 said:

Let me know if you cant find it

Couldn't find it. Did find a video of a guy explaining scoping out which is the problem I was having for sure. I imagine in my boat I would have the bow facing against the current and I would deploy the trolling motor to a speed high enough to slow the boat drift but slow enough not to pull it forward

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.