MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Had 90 minutes to fish CMC yesterday morning with my cousin.

Nothing on artificial for me.

Cousin caught a blowfish from the surf on clam.  At least 12 inches using his foot as a guide.

At Least 12 inches?  That's a pic worthy fish. 

Water temp in the back over the weekend was 61 degrees.  

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 6:49 PM, Sudsy said:

I think it's a chinese generic that's painted and marketed by a bunch of different companies

You can get the clear unpainted bodies online and paint them any way you like

I did these

7inchPlasticMinnowBlueYellowSpots.jpg

7inchPlasticMinnowGreenSidesRedSpotsBlackBack.jpg

DSCF0418.JPG

DSCF0423.JPG

DSCF0428.JPG

Do you have a brand or distributor that you prefer over another?  I have 6 of these that cracked with some on the first fish.  Others just pulled the hook out mid-fight.  I'm weary of the knockoffs anymore.   

24 mins ago, fishless said:

At Least 12 inches?  That's a pic worthy fish. 

Water temp in the back over the weekend was 61 degrees.  

It never occurred to us.  We just wanted to get it back in the water.

39 mins ago, fishless said:

Do you have a brand or distributor that you prefer over another?  I have 6 of these that cracked with some on the first fish.  Others just pulled the hook out mid-fight.  I'm weary of the knockoffs anymore.   

I've ordered a bunch of blanks off ebay, its enticing to be able to get 20 lures for super cheap, any that ive really given time to on the water have quickly cracked and filled  with water.

Edited by bbfish

Just now, bbfish said:

I've ordered a bunch of blanks off ebay, its enticing to be able to get 20 lures for super cheap, any that ive really given time to on the water have eventually cracked and filled  with water.

I'm talking literally all 6 were first fish cracks.  So now I buy from people that put up Mambos and paint.  But I would be open to try again if someone has good reviews on durability. 

Nice morning to be out and really nice low tide water with a rolling surf.  The word must have slowly gotten out as the number of surfers grew through the morning.  Still not a lot going on.  Could see some bunker out there along with a few washed up on the sand.  Wind shifter to the SSE so you could feel the cold in the air off the water.  Did find a couple small ones with one not much bigger then the white swimmer.  Second one hit the yellow sand eel and was a bit bigger.  Still waiting on some better fish to make a move.

DSCF3422.JPG

2 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Took the weekend off to stay away from the crowds...Ok, I lie. Still working on The Empress chore list. Anyway MoCo, beautiful but quiet this morning. Dawn 1 1/2hr. End of the outgoing into the flip, very light W wind, clean water but not as clear as we’ve seen in the past weeks. Water still cold. Not a tap. The action out back is still pretty hot from what I hear from a couple of yak guys and others. May try in back tomorrow or tonight.

You'd better go today. Out back fish caught on Tuesdays don't count.

Yesterday that hard south wind and off tides made for too tough conditions for the fly. Went home but got a call from my bud the wind died so we hit the beach for the incoming. Lots of hits and hook ups of small bass and blues and a couple nicer fish. NoMoCo 

IMG_20210517_011326_599.jpg

13 hours ago, JimK said:

Bought a yak a couple of weeks ago... Finally had a chance to use it today.  Maiden voyage and i found bass willing to go after top water plugs.  Only caught one right around 28 in.  Had a few other swirls.  Had a bluefish on briefly.  Last of outgoing.. Inside moco. Im stoked.

Welcome to the dark side!  Paddle or pedal?  PM if you wanna get together

55 mins ago, GeoffT said:

Welcome to the dark side!  Paddle or pedal?  PM if you wanna get together

Paddle. It's a 10-footer and maybe a little boxy, but it's very stable brand name is Lifetime. I wasn't really in the market for a very expensive kayak, and in the price range this one got extremely good reviews. I caught fish on it that's all that really matters. Work is super busy for me this time of year , so my fishing time is extremely Limited. I'll shoot you a p.m.

Edited by JimK

12 mins ago, JimK said:

Paddle. It's a 10-footer and maybe a little boxy, but it's very stable brand name is Lifetime. I wasn't really in the market for a very expensive kayak, and in the price range this one got extremely good reviews. I caught fish on it that's all that really matters. Work is super busy for me this time of year , so my fishing time is extremely Limited. I'll shoot you a p.m.

I have the same kayak and the same work / time problems.  But I have been less successful with the fish.  I have been going solo so if you are interested in another boxy paddler for company, if schedules work out, I'd go too.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:00 PM, jerseystriper said:

Was out back on MC river- fish around, hitting poppers- one of the fish I caught already had two big bunker sticking in his gullet when he hammered my popper fly- ‘twas a good evening. Two handed fly rods are a learning curve 

Glad Im not fishing this year.  Why even mention river?      *spring rather.   This post alone lets me know who you are and where you are fishing.

Edited by Hammerz

9 hours ago, Hammerz said:

Glad Im not fishing this year.  Why even mention river?      *spring rather.   This post alone lets me know who you are and where you are fishing.

Tim S will say this is perfectly acceptable report. Really dont get the hate sometimes. I respect spot burn but some people also need to be reminded that the whole 9 million people in a densley populated state often gets in the way of your isolation attempt regardless of keeping things close to the chest.