MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

629 posts in this topic

Fished outback OC last night. A lot of casting and the only thing I walked away with was marked up plug from a bluefish blowing it up.

Hoping to head out front this weekend.

Out front from 7 to 9:15 am. It was quite chilly out there this morning, with a strong NW wind. Water was flat, with minimal wave action. Water still cold, around 48. West winds, cool nights, and below average daytime temps haven't helped. Did see bunker happily going by and I'm seeing more and more washed up clam shells, which is encouraging. Picked one little guy at my second stop on a teaser. Put my truck in stealth mode and tried to sneak across the border, but wound up bribing the sentry to get in. Should have saved my money. Not a touch. Took a secret back road to avoid additional "exit fees."

Of note; I counted 3 guys fishing the entire time I was out. For this time of year, that's telling.

Nope, didn't happen this morning.  Made a trip to the deep south and saw a bunch of dolphins feeding on bunker, a whale make an appearance, and one small school of blue fish chomping way out of casting range.  Air and water way too cold this morning.  Will stick closer to home in the tomorrow.

13 mins ago, MC55 said:

Nope, didn't happen this morning.  Made a trip to the deep south and saw a bunch of dolphins feeding on bunker, a whale make an appearance, and one small school of blue fish chomping way out of casting range.  Air and water way too cold this morning.  Will stick closer to home in the tomorrow.

Were you able to get over the border without paying the bribe?

15 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Were you able to get over the border without paying the bribe?

Passed right through.  Guess they knew I wasn't going to be successful anyway.

Found the same as you guys in OC. Fished 5:30-9:00. Found nice clean clear water but flat. Walked a good mile plus of beach fishing my way there and back. Not a tap. 

Late skunk report from last night. SoMoCo, light NW wind, dusk into dark 1hr, top of the outgoing, not as much surf as the last couple of days but clean. 1 lil’ tap. I did hear of a slot fish caught on a different stretch a little north of me on a metal lip.

I guess it’s good I slept in. Doesn’t sound like much is going on today. Will try and sneak out again later for the dusk bite.

Fished out front OC from 7am - 10:30 am.  Soaked clams & bunker, not a nibble.  Threw a bone colored SP Minnow, no takers.  Saw some bunker cruise by, followed by a dolphin parade.  NW winds were blustery.  Water was very clear with not much surf.  Another skunk outing on a nice day.

I guess it’s comforting in a strange way that no one else is really getting anything lately

same story here this morning - back to cold hands... and they didn’t even smell fishy. 

Beautiful morning non the less - nice conditions all around - was out at sunrise for almost an hour , not much happening but still good to get my line wet 

5 mins ago, nam1969 said:

It appears that my one little guy, caught this morning, is high hook for the day! Where do I pick up the pool money? 

Just hold on to your knickers there sir. The day is not over yet!

27 mins ago, nam1969 said:

It appears that my one little guy, caught this morning, is high hook for the day! Where do I pick up the pool money? 

Will try oceanside tonight and see what all this blitz is about. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Out front in MoCo yesterday from 7-10pm. Big pod of happy bunker in close making their way south and stuck around until sunset but nothing on them. Once it got dark I threw on a brand new blurple sp and on the first cast had a nice hit sending the drag screaming for a second. Can’t believe I didn’t hook up.

Out front in OC this morning from 6-8am. Handful of others out there giving it a go but only saw one schoolie pulled up. Nada for me.

Back at it in the AM. 

Edited by Duck