MC55

May 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are...….

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Hit the back river this morning and nothing happening so move to the beach side.  Nice water but same story, nothing.  Headed toward home and saw 4 head boats out her on the beach so put the gear back on and gave it a go.  All I could produce was a chopped off swimmer.  Guys on the rock were picking at the blues but was turning out to be a bit of a circus for me so called it a morning.  There were some nice fished pulled, but it was a slow pick.  About ready to head back out to see if they have moved closer to the sand.

Took the skunk for the first time in awhile. Out front, MoCo, from 11:45 am to 1:15 pm. Good looking surf with a stiffening NE breeze. Last of incoming tide. The little guys that were abundant seem to have moved out. Saw the same boat setup that MC55 described. Blues were off the beach making closer forays at times. It was not a blitz situation. Not sure what they're chasing. Didn't see any bunker. No bird action. Water is still cold, in the 47 to 48 degree area.

11 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Took the journey today to find gators and was treated to find a few. Was awesome seeing my two sons get powered when handed the rod to try and reel them in. Great age at 10 and 14. They under estimated the power of those fish. Nice seeing @Goldy and @ridenfish out there today.

I dont know you. 

Edited by Goldy

13 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Took the journey today to find gators and was treated to find a few. Was awesome seeing my two sons get powered when handed the rod to try and reel them in. Great age at 10 and 14. They under estimated the power of those fish. Nice seeing @Goldy and @ridenfish out there today.

Great to see you today as well!

Glad I didn’t run into that Goldy guy :laugh:

No bass outback MoCo but managed 9 - 30 Inch gator blues in an hour and a half. Went 3 for 3 on my first three casts with a Popper then sprinted a quarter mile back to the truck in my waders to pick up my younger brother who I forcefully made skip his Zoom classes. Next 45 minutes was great several fish over 10 lbs and my brother got his PB with a 38 incher. Soon as the outgoing started things died down . A couple stripers would have been nice but I cannot complain about catching monster blues, most enjoyable day on the water so far this season. 

5 hours ago, hardo21 said:

No bass outback MoCo but managed 9 - 30 Inch gator blues in an hour and a half. Went 3 for 3 on my first three casts with a Popper then sprinted a quarter mile back to the truck in my waders to pick up my younger brother who I forcefully made skip his Zoom classes. Next 45 minutes was great several fish over 10 lbs and my brother got his PB with a 38 incher. Soon as the outgoing started things died down . A couple stripers would have been nice but I cannot complain about catching monster blues, most enjoyable day on the water so far this season. 

Monster blues > dink schoolies 

1 hour ago, Eeeeels said:

Out front Moco late afternoon I Had a little micro bass bite going on and then this guy showed up. 

82327A8D-6C37-4078-B9DB-C8F22E3EF35B.jpeg

Very nice.  Wish there were more

16 hours ago, MC55 said:

Hit the back river this morning and nothing happening so move to the beach side.  Nice water but same story, nothing.  Headed toward home and saw 4 head boats out her on the beach so put the gear back on and gave it a go.  All I could produce was a chopped off swimmer.  Guys on the rock were picking at the blues but was turning out to be a bit of a circus for me so called it a morning.  There were some nice fished pulled, but it was a slow pick.  About ready to head back out to see if they have moved closer to the sand.

I think I saw you wading in the surf taking a beating by the waves. 

33 mins ago, Eeeeels said:

I think I saw you wading in the surf taking a beating by the waves. 

That's possible.  If I had the second rod on my back, that was me.  Went back out late afternoon and the circus was still in town, but not too many fish being pulled in.  Stayed away from the crowd looking for strays and only had one wack but not to the hook.  Grandpa duty for me today, back out tomorrow.

12 mins ago, MC55 said:

That's possible.  If I had the second rod on my back, that was me.  Went back out late afternoon and the circus was still in town, but not too many fish being pulled in.  Stayed away from the crowd looking for strays and only had one wack but not to the hook.  Grandpa duty for me today, back out tomorrow.

Yea it was you. 
we did great there first light till the head boats shut them down. 

Sunday early AM low tide to incoming high tide - mid afternoon on the Raritan, out on a friends boat. 6 short bass most were like 22”, 24” caught on bloodworms in 20-40ft of water. Was hoping to catch some bunker, but  really didn’t notice any huge schools worthy of throwing the net. 

Most boats out were trolling, and that’s what I would had done. But my friend is a new boat owner, not the greatest fishermen yet, and I didn’t want to loose my trolling rods to the fish Gods. I don’t believe I saw any keepers caught while out there, I saw many boats throwing what appeared to be shorts back.