SimpleJack

Shimano Saragosa 2020

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2020 Shimano Saragosa 14,000 and the screw that is in the handle that attaches the handle to the reel has a small bit of movement. It causes the handle to move a small amount and is noticeable when attached to the reel. It will still probably work fine, but is more annoying than anything else. Does anyone else who has a 2020 Saragosa have any experience with this? 

I had this exact issue with my 5k.

Unfortunately I was the secondary owner - thus no warranty.

I called about it and eventually got worked around to a discount on the whole handle assembly. 

I'd definitely call em about it and see what they'll do for you.

I think mine might be gear lash or handle play from a gear inside. I tried a different handle, same 2020 14k Saragosa and it had the same gear lash. I have never noticed it before with other spinning reels that I own. However the handle knob on this reel is very nice with zero play.

I bought 2 6k SWA's in December. Gave one to my brother in-law for wrapping my boat, I kept the other. His was perfect mine had the same issue as yours. I bought them from Cabelas and was able to exchange for another. That one had the same issue too.....so I exchanged that one too. Then the third one had the loose handle too. I took it to my local tackle shop and just asked them if something felt odd. He instantly replied after spinning handle, that it felt loose. I compared to the old 8k they had there and it was totally different. I called Shimano and asked if this issue had come up, they replied that there wasn't enough of them out there to have any real feedback yet and it could have been a bad batch. It was to much of an annoyance for me to over look. I returned and bought a VR150. When comparing the handle to my BIL's the screw felt very loose, almost like it was missing a washer. 

There is a slight amount of what I think is backlash on mine - 2020 SWA 6k. It’s been out 2-4 times a week now and I haven’t noticed this out in the field. It’s only until I held the rotor and moved the handle back and forth that I noticed it so I will say mine is practically negligible.

I will say that mine has a pretty noticeable tick at the top and bottom of the oscillation though. It does go away when not held vertically. That’s probably my only complaint but my Slammers have the same ticking just not as noticeable.

This may be related. I just received 2 new Spheros 4000SW’s. I’m a lefty so the first thing I do is switch the handle to the opposite side. Well, the handle screwed right into one and it wouldn’t go into the second reel. I thought I was going crazy because it wouldn’t screw on. On closer examination there’s threaded collar on the outside of the screw that goes into the reel and it must be screwed in far enough in order to show enough threads to attach handle. It’s a weird system to me but I’m thinking if a Saragossa is of the same design the inner collar may be adjustable to take out slop in the reel. I know I babbled but I hope I made sense.

This could explain why it’s hit or miss among peoples reels 

Edited by ecks

I know just what you are talking about ecks, I noticed the inner collar has to be screwed in all the way to completely screw the handle in all the way. It's an interesting design, maybe they did that to increase the strength of the one piece handle? 

1 hour ago, SimpleJack said:

I know just what you are talking about ecks, I noticed the inner collar has to be screwed in all the way to completely screw the handle in all the way. It's an interesting design, maybe they did that to increase the strength of the one piece handle? 

I just got off the phone w Shimano after an hour wait. The tech on the phone couldn’t understand what I was telling him. He kept saying it should just screw on. I said there’s a definite design to it and asked him how far the inner collar should set. He told me send pictures and he would have another tech look at. I said nothing to look at but I’ll send images anyway. 

44 mins ago, ecks said:

I just got off the phone w Shimano after an hour wait. The tech on the phone couldn’t understand what I was telling him. He kept saying it should just screw on. I said there’s a definite design to it and asked him how far the inner collar should set. He told me send pictures and he would have another tech look at. I said nothing to look at but I’ll send images anyway. 

I just noticed that on the spec sheet that came with the reel, where all the part numbers are listed with the pictures of the reels, it has different handle part numbers, which would be correct for the different handle lengths I assume, however it only shows the inner collar piece and washer for the larger reel sizes. I want to say it shows the inner collar and washer were with the 18K and above sizes, but doesn't show for the 14K and below sizes.