Favorite fly rod handle type

Rate this topic

fishfinder401

And the Fenwick grip.......basically a 1/2 wells though nowadays those are typically reversed.  This one drew my interest because of a post on a rodbuilding site that described the US casting coaches experimenting with it for competition distance rods.  I turned one on a 10wt RPLX I rebuilt but have not cast it yet enough to have any opinion. 

IMG_0554.jpg

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I really like the three point grip as per Gary Borger. Why it is totally natural. Thumb on top means you have to twist your forearm. Thumb on top can help cause over rotation of the rod around the point of the stop and thus make big sloppy loops. Three point grip helps stop that. It feels funny if you have been using Thumb on top for years. I really live it now. Great for accuracy and good for long range to. Mr Borger thinks 75% of us use thumb on top. Not me not any more.

Shape of grip if turning my own is a full  wells turned to suit my hands and also power rating of my rods. Using one shape helps to grove my cast.

There are some weird ones out there. Some on this thread I have never heard of.

I am just so glad I make my own mostly and not stuck with one which typically for me has too small an outside diameter. Loomis grips are way too small.

I do like the grip Sage stick on their 6 wt Igniter, They call it a Snub nose I think.:Or is it a Bull Nose.

Nicest factory grip for ages.

For general population I think it’s hard to beat a full wells for rods 8 wt and up for the ocean.

Mike

Ritz for 6wt and above. A little less curvey than Herb’s. JC

D63D2974-BDA6-468A-B9CB-70CB601F84E6.jpeg.6215382cf77766afe755172d07607453.jpeg

Edited by JonC

I had to go upstairs and check.   The two 8 wgts I built one has a cigar shape and the other resembles a full wells.  I made those two from scratch. After that I brought the high/super grade cork half wells with a cut out for the two 5 wgts and two 6 wgts I built.  I just had to replace the foregrip on one of my 6 wgts.  One of the reasons was that the cork on the cut-out started coming apart.  The other was that after almost 20 years the grip came loose.  I replaced it with a half wells without the cut out.

6097416896956_Largemouthingrass(2).jpg.16c4866587130e3b918433de7846c589.jpg

I built a rod with a Maniform grip maybe 30 years ago, it is a comfortable grip, but locks your hand in one position all day. The Ritz/Gordon grip style allows you to reposition your hand, even slightly, which changes the diameter and feel, it helps me refresh my cramped hand over a long day of fishing. The Fenwick/Western also allows a bit of repositioning while keeping some of the things that make the Full Wells so popular. Angler's Workshop may still sell the Maniform grip.