MB19565

Running Guide size- MH Inshore- Braid/Fluro/FG

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

- New to rod building and working on my second build.

Currently about to install Guides on a 7' inshore rod for Stripers and am second guessing the size of the running guides to comfortably (suitably?) pass an FG Knot (20# Braid, 25# Fluro- FG knot).   I used the anglers resource Guide Placement Software and bought 6L  Running guides  and tip top per the recommendation.   I \like to use a longer leader, so running the knot through the guides is preferred for me- Yes, I check and re-tie often.  My factory rods seem to have larger running guides- in the 8-8.5 range. 

Will a size 6 running guide be an issue for an FG knot? I'd rather get larger runners now as opposed to installing ones that will be too small and having to remove and reinstall larger ones if it doesn't work out. 

Thanks for any advice!

KL6L would never be used as running guides. KB6 and KT6 would be - you not maybe thinking of these?

25lb fluro would be around 0.45mm.

Go 7's KL7L to KB7 to KT7

Use size 8 or even size 10 running guides, and forget about it. Don't drive yourself nuts with this -- on a rod like this, you're probably not going to notice (much) the difference between size 6 running guides and size 8 or 10. I'd rather use guides that are a little too big, and pass any and all knots comfortably, than finding out the hard way that the guides are too small.

21 hours ago, MB19565 said:

Great advice and just what I'm looking for- thank you!!

Food for thought:

Just sharing some info on one of my own rods.

It is for a conventional so not exactly the same dynamics, but:

10' 1-4oz spiral wrapped KW20 KW12 KW8 KW8 with 7x KT7 runners

Practice reel is a 6500 CT chrome rocket spooled with 0.40mm / 20lb mono mainline and a 0.80mm / 80lb mono shock leader.

Dead quiet when I cast it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My MH G Loomis inshore rod was built prior to the introduction of braid (pre1994) and did/does just fine with 7 mm running guides and tip top. When it did come out the first available to me was 35 lb. Tuffline with a black thread wove through it. Did fine with that too.

Edited by spoonplugger1