jetty eddy

seagulls

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was just looking at a web cam and saw more than the usual amount of seagulls on the beach. I was wondering if thats a sign that there is more going on in the area more than normal as far as fish and bait in the area.Baring foul weather it would seem to make sense.

If the seagulls are feeding on bait, you’d be able to tell. They’ll dive and fight over food. They flock, when they decide to chill and rest that’s what the flock does. 

Funny story. I was out on my buddies boat yesterday. We had a few stripers but all were short. Anyways, my buddy threw half his sub sandwich in the water.

Why, I don’t know, I guess he didn’t like it. Maybe minutes later the gulls are going nuts trying grab that floating sub sandwich. My buddy says to me, I wonder if any those boats over there think we’re over a school of bait. Sure enough a couple boats reeled their lines in quick as can be, and came closer to where we were. We were laughing. 

48 mins ago, BobBass said:

If the seagulls are feeding on bait, you’d be able to tell. They’ll dive and fight over food. They flock, when they decide to chill and rest that’s what the flock does. 

They'll also sit over bait and wait for em to get pushed to the surface. 

8 mins ago, fishless said:

They'll also sit over bait and wait for em to get pushed to the surface. 

He mentioned “on the beach”. In the water I would agree- that’s a good sign. 

1 hour ago, TheBoat said:

A few whiles back when fishing for something this jumped into my net.

31629.JPG

That there is a tern, not a gull. I'm guessing it's a Forster's tern, but I'm colorblind, and one of the key ID points of the Forster's, an orange bill, is largely invisible to me.

I just found out that 20% of people are Colourblind. Cant tell Reds Oranges from Green.  I did not know that. So the Turn just sat there untill i picked it up and thre it back into the Air. Guess it was tired. Have had lots of stormy petrs and Pelicans try to hang around. Guess they just want free food. Had a South American Fruitbat land inside my boat just about 100 miles east of Glouster one day. Dam thing hung upside down next to my helm and i had to net it and then dropped  the expensive net over the side trying to get it out. Damm Vampire. Nets are not cheap.  Seagulls can get nasty. But if you grab them like a Goose around the neck they calm down. 

5 hours ago, MattieG said:

Funny story. I was out on my buddies boat yesterday. We had a few stripers but all were short. Anyways, my buddy threw half his sub sandwich in the water.

Why, I don’t know, I guess he didn’t like it. Maybe minutes later the gulls are going nuts trying grab that floating sub sandwich. My buddy says to me, I wonder if any those boats over there think we’re over a school of bait. Sure enough a couple boats reeled their lines in quick as can be, and came closer to where we were. We were laughing. 

I've heard of popcorn blitzes, but not sub blitzes. Wonder if stripers will eat 'em?