Thumb-Burner

Need conventional 7-8' factory rod recommendation

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a 7-8' conventional factory rod that will work well for casting small jigheads and spoons from 1/2 oz up to 1oz or 1.5 oz.  looking for a crisp rod with fast action with a tip that will cast the lighter stuff.   thoughts?  Not wanting to spend a fortune..  maybe 150 or less.

I actually use a steelhead rod specifically for the description you gave. The one I have is rated for 1/2-4oz but it's more of a lob for anything over 2oz. I can comfortably cast the 1/2-2oz no problem. Okuma Celilo 8.5ft Heavy Action. I think I paid 80bucks new for it. 

I paired it with a low profile baitcast reel, 200 size (abu revo x inshore)

I use it with bucktails/jigheads, sp minnows, and light surface swimmers.

A little too whippy for walk the dog style plugs but I like it a lot for swimmers. 

Edited by Italianbuca

3 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

I actually use a steelhead rod specifically for the description you gave. The one I have is rated for 1/2-4oz but it's more of a lob for anything over 2oz. I can comfortably cast the 1/2-2oz no problem. Okuma Celilo 8.5ft Heavy Action. I think I paid 80bucks new for it. 

I paired it with a low profile baitcast reel, 200 size (abu revo x inshore)

I use it with bucktails/jigheads, sp minnows, and light surface swimmers.

A little too whippy for walk the dog style plugs but I like it a lot for swimmers. 

that's exactly the type thing i'm looking for.. do you think it will cast a 1/4oz jighead with a paddletail or too light?

it is whippy, so I would think it should althought I'm sure a lighter action would be better. Although I think the lighter action is a lot lower of a rating so the versatility goes away. Steelhead rods get tricky rating wise, at leas to me. I find the 4oz rating hard to believe. I was using it with 1/2oz bucktails up to 2oz swimmers this past weekend. to me it feltlike the 2oz was starting to push it casting, and I was lobbing slightly heavier plugs out into the current at that point. Anything heavier I have a 10ft surf rod for anyways. 

I'll clip on a small 1/4oz jighead with plastic and cast it out this coming weekend for you haha.