Jollyrodger

Casting Egg Knot Question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Can a surgeons loop knot be used to connect the lure to the leader attached to the casting egg? I would think that this would allow for a quick lure change. I would be attaching smaller lures and the TA clip may be too big. Thanks in advance.

I think a variety of knots would be fine. Biggest mistake I see guys doing with a casting egg is too short a leader. While short 3 ft leaders do work, longer ones flat out work better for me. 4-5 ft in case you are wondering.

22 hours ago, Jollyrodger said:

Can a surgeons loop knot be used to connect the lure to the leader attached to the casting egg? I would think that this would allow for a quick lure change. I would be attaching smaller lures and the TA clip may be too big. Thanks in advance.

If you mean that the hook eye is too small for a TA clip, say on a bucktail or jighead etc, here are a few alternatives. 

Prerig the flies, jigs, BTs beforehand. I have used stiff mono or fluoro tied direct and a surgeon loop on the end. Clip to the loop. Or a short few inch long leader from jig/fly eye to a swivel and then clip to the swivel. Or, split ring to swivel.

(FYI-The split ring can be tough with small eyed hooks or jigs.)

Lastly, you can use the surgeon loop on the egg leader and a small leader tied to the hook or jig with a loop knot on there. Use a loop to loop connection by passing one through the other. This offers the least amount of hardware & added weight, although I’ve had more trouble with tangles this way and I didn’t feel like trying to determine the reason so I switched it up. 

14 hours ago, redfin said:

I think a variety of knots would be fine. Biggest mistake I see guys doing with a casting egg is too short a leader. While short 3 ft leaders do work, longer ones flat out work better for me. 4-5 ft in case you are wondering.

I’ve never had much luck on the casting egg except small bluefish. I wonder if my leader is too short. 

I stopped hanging the offering from a nail on the egg because of the annoyance of getting it back on there before each cast with waves coming at me. When I stopped that, I shortened the leader after the egg to prevent helicopter casts.

I also found that long leaders tended to coil up & tangle with the egg. So, two tips there that did help with this aspect:

-ball bearing swivel halfway through the leader. A little weight at the right spot & the detangle effect of the bb swivel. 

-instead of a nail, put hole like a large dimple in the “top” third of the egg to rest/hang the hook point of your jig or fly on the cast. Visualize a headphone jack almost. 

I still keep my casting egg with a handful of SW flies in my bag but now I really only use it in super calm conditions - which is supposed to be prime time for an egg & jig. 

Stiffer and heavier fluorocarbon leaders can really help cut the tangling of longer leaders during the cast with light teasers. Also helps get the teaser down a bit in chop and not just dragging on surface. This may help your tangling problems. As far as changing small lures, I just tie a loop knot that I cut/re-tie when I swap teasers. Gives great action to what is already such a light presentation, less hardware is better.