Mr. Bigdeal

It's Spring.....and you know what that means.

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'm in Connecticut, black bears don't worry me. The big danger here is the infamous Connecticut mountain lion. They're everywhere, I can't even walk in my yard without stepping in lion scat. Thicker than fleas on a camel.:witty::beers:

20 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia

So it's Spring...hikers, campers are in the field and so are the hungry Bears coming out of their dens.....what'cha carryin'....spray or lead.

I've seen a few big bears lately.

I've only had one refuse to leave my garbage. I kept up the noise and it moved on.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fella on another Forum just wrote...."This guy just walked through my yard at 7:00am today...Better than coffee in the morning"...

.....and check out those serious lookin' Meat Hooks.

griz.1.jpg

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Connecticut has over 8,000 bear. I live in a heavily wooded area that is ideal for bear yet I've never seen one and never seen any signs of one. In-laws that live 5 miles from me have trail cam pictures of one at their pond this year and saw a sow with cubs run across their yard. I've seen coyotes, bobcats, mink, and fishers on the property but no bears yet. I even bait them, have bird feeders all over.

....this  guy is 300lbs he is looking in the bed room window ...a little unnerving.

GRANBY, CT (WFSB) – A Granby family’s dog is recovering after it was attacked by a bear last week.

Family members said the dog was brutally attacked by a black bear in their own backyard on Haven Drive, which is near the McClean Wildlife Refuge.

The family urged the town to take action to prevent another bear attack.

Though as of Monday night it was a week since the incident, Valerie Eastwood’s dog was still at an animal hospital.

Murphy the dog was rushed to the vet where he underwent emergency surgery.

Eastwood made a plea to the Granby Board of Selectmen.

The family Murphy was attacked after the bear entered their yard over a 5 foot fence around 11 a.m. on April 26.

"I heard screaming out here on the deck," Eastwood said.

Eastwood said the 78 pound Murphy was roaming their backyard beforehand.

The black bear infiltrated the fence and attacked the dog.

"Murphy was in bad shape and at first they thought he might not make it," Eastwood said.

Eastwood and her husband said they have lived near the McClean Game Refuge for five years.

They said they see bears often; however, the animals have never attacked their pets until now.

"Mostly it was muscle, fat, and skin loss from the bear both claw and bite," she said.

Eastwood said they just removed a bird feeder a short time ago.

The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said that may have been the source of the problem.

To keep bears away, DEEP suggests that people remove bird feeders and food from late March through November.

It also advised not to feed bears, don't leave food out overnight, and place garbage cans inside a garage or shed.

Eastwood urged the town to pass an ordinance similar to Simsbury’s, which prohibits the intentional feeding of wildlife and only allows the use bird feeders during certain months of the year.

"There are many children in this neighborhood, small children, with fenced in yards. There’s a certain amount of security that isn’t really there," Eastwood said.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Connecticut has over 8,000 bear. I live in a heavily wooded area that is ideal for bear yet I've never seen one and never seen any signs of one. In-laws that live 5 miles from me have trail cam pictures of one at their pond this year and saw a sow with cubs run across their yard. I've seen coyotes, bobcats, mink, and fishers on the property but no bears yet. I even bait them, have bird feeders all over.

Had quite a few in my area.  

It was weird, I've lived here since 96. Saw my first track around 03-04. By 2010 it was a common sighting. But the last 10years have been flush with bears.  

Only one was a problem and I think someone nearby did the ole SSS maneuver.   I heard a shot early one morning and never had an issue with that bear again. 

Last summer I saw 2 out hiking.  One was like a ghost. There. Then gone.  The other I came around a bend and it's butt was towards me as it was diggin in a log.  Whacked my stick against a tree and yelled and it was scared! Eyes buggin out of its head and tore off into the woods. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Fella on another Forum just wrote...."This guy just walked through my yard at 7:00am today...Better than coffee in the morning"...

.....and check out those serious lookin' Meat Hooks.

griz.1.jpg

looks like he just walked out of the nail salon 

There was a time when boys grew into men. When they played with bears, ate lead paint off windowsills after surviving fetal alcohol conditions in the womb. Now a lot of them grow into women and bare afraid of bears.........

There was a time when boys grew into men. When they played with bears and ate lead paint off windowsills after surviving fetal alcohol conditions in the womb. Now a lot of them grow into women and are afraid of bears.........

bear.JPG