ianroddie

Jaws won’t fully close on Danco premio pliers

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Not familiar with those pliers but I’m wondering if the cutter blades can be adjusted to allow the jaws to close  completely.

Have you tried loosening the cutter blades?

Just a thought.

The jaws on longnose pliers should close completely and touch each other... Being that those pliers are made of aluminum they are weak and separated from squeezing something too hard..  That why I use a regular steel pair of  longnose pliers...

6 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

The jaws on longnose pliers should close completely and touch each other... Being that those pliers are made of aluminum they are weak and separated from squeezing something too hard..  That why I use a regular steel pair of  longnose pliers...

They are the titanium premios 

10 mins ago, valentine said:

Not familiar with those pliers but I’m wondering if the cutter blades can be adjusted to allow the jaws to close  completely.

Have you tried loosening the cutter blades?

Just a thought.

Also ya I tried losening them and playing around with them but they still don’t close all the way

5 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Makes sense to me.

I hadn’t considered that aluminum construction could allow distortion of the jaws if used for heavy clamping.

I never had pricey boutique pliers anyway but now I’m happier than ever with my cheap stainless ones.

Good info Sy.

Just now, valentine said:

Makes sense to me.

I hadn’t considered that aluminum construction could allow distortion of the jaws if used for heavy clamping.

I never had pricey boutique pliers anyway but now I’m happier than ever with my cheap stainless ones.

Good info Sy.

I own an 11 inch longnose pair of pliers that I use for removing hooks from gut hooked fish that I purchase at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks.. I have them over ten years and all that I have to do is just wipe them with oil after every fishing trip if I use them.. 

Did you buy them new?  Contact Danco.  I believe the titanium Premio pliers line have a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser with your receipt.  From reading a few other threads about these pliers, it seems Danco’s customer service is pretty good.

4 mins ago, ianroddie said:

Also ya I tried losening them and playing around with them but they still don’t close all the way

I think Sy is onto something regarding the jaws becoming distorted from clamping down heavily on something.

Do you have any recollection of doing something like that?

I don’t know much about the properties of titanium but perhaps they can be reshaped with something like a shop press.

1 min ago, Water Dog said:

Did you buy them new?  Contact Danco.  I believe the titanium Premio pliers line have a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser with your receipt.  From reading a few other threads about these pliers, it seems Danco’s customer service is pretty good.

Well, there you go.

3 mins ago, valentine said:

Well, there you go.

I bought them from sol and when I remove the cutters, the pliers fully close. Also I haven’t used them since buying them so I don’t know how I could of caused this.

2 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I own an 11 inch longnose pair of pliers that I use for removing hooks from gut hooked fish that I purchase at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks.. I have them over ten years and all that I have to do is just wipe them with oil after every fishing trip if I use them.. 

I use cheap stainless needle nose pliers with a pistol grip.

The pistol grip really provides good unhooking leverage.

The pliers were so cheap that I bought a half dozen of them figuring that I’d break them or lose them and just grab a new pair.

The only changes I made was to re-shape the tips on a belt grinder and to replace  the factory rubber grip with cord wraps coated in epoxy.

It’s the best grip I’ve ever seen on fishing pliers.

Completely slip and slime proof and probably more durable than the pliers themselves.

I’m still using the first pair I modified because I haven’t lost them and they turned out to be way more durable than I ever thought they’d be.

A wire brushing each season followed by some silicone spray keeps them functioning as well as new.

6 mins ago, ianroddie said:

I bought them from sol and when I remove the cutters, the pliers fully close. Also I haven’t used them since buying them so I don’t know how I could of caused this.

If you loosen the cutters but don’t remove them, will the jaws close?

6 mins ago, ianroddie said:

You may want to contact the seller and see if you can work out an arrangement for a warranty claim with Danco.  At least see if they have an original receipt.  If that doesn’t work and they were sold to you damaged, you may have grounds for a PayPal claim.

9 mins ago, Water Dog said:

You may want to contact the seller and see if you can work out an arrangement for a warranty claim with Danco.  At least see if they have an original receipt.  If that doesn’t work and they were sold to you damaged, you may have grounds for a PayPal claim.

These are the cutters that came with the pliers when I bought them here on sol. They seem like they are fine but I replaced these cutters because they didn’t cut braid and with the new cutters, they don’t close all the way

image.jpg

Edited by ianroddie