frazerp

Sprinters on the Beach

7 posts in this topic

Have we got any Sprinters driven on the beach? I mostly know our Long Island beaches, tho a bit of Jersey & the Cape back in the day.

Looking at 22' 9" overall, build date is this July, mid-August delivery & then, hopefully, 6 weeks to outfit - so that's early October.

Amazing how many goodies are not in stock & have months of delivery time, due to CV-19.

I'm hoping that with the next 4 months of planning, ordering & maybe even some pre-building of the van goodies, we can do it right & maybe even a bit less costly than the advertised $60k.

Ready for the fall run & then follow 'em south & look at real estate a bit less expensive than it has become out here.

The only time that I've seen a Sprinter on the beach it was buried up to the frame. It was in pretty soft sand.  I don't know if they aired down or not, as I kept on driving once I noticed that they didn't have a permit to be driving on the beach anyways (so my guess is that they were not aired down). 

A transit with a Quigley or Quadvan conversion would have been a better choice if off roading is a priority for your van. Going that route would have given you a true 4x4 system vs the MB “engageable all wheel drive” that can only send 33% power to the front wheels. 

The Sprinter is the only 4x4 van made in the USA.

FYI: Quigley is presently a six months wait, haven't checked w/other converters.

No serious fisherperson would NOT air down.

Again, “4x4.” I have an all wheel drive van too, and it has a blue oval and was built in Kansas City. I hope the MB works well for you, but the stock drive systems in these vans are really only meant to give us peace of mind on slippery roads, not off road. 

Kind on the same topic. Soft Sand.  How do you pack down all the loose sand in your yard after a contractor put in a French Drain in December when everything was frozen.  he dug up all the sad and I walked accross it on Sat and I fell into a sinkhole. hurt my bad leg again (Thats the Other Bad leg) and now Ill be walking with my cane again.  Dont have the physical strenth to do landscaping myself and dont have money to pay someone else as I spent more than I had paying the contractor. I dont have a really big truck anymore  as cant work, dont have a job and cant afford a nice truck.so the best I could do was drive my shittly little jap truck back and forth over the send to try and pack it down.  any suggestions?