FEW3

Wow, those sandwich folks

Rate this topic

141 posts in this topic

36 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Yes according to the folks who filed the claim are saying these folks underestimated the value of the project to fall below the value in order to avoid the latest regulations that  are required under the New flood zone rules for such projects. If the numbers are recalculated and they are correct this business will be required to put the business above the flood zone on pilings .    Peace and Prayers

So, they purchased the property in November for $1.27M then submitted their plans along with an independent appraisal at $2M?  The town then bases their approval on THAT information?  LOL

58 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Yes according to the folks who filed the claim are saying these folks underestimated the value of the project to fall below the value in order to avoid the latest regulations that  are required under the New flood zone rules for such projects. If the numbers are recalculated and they are correct this business will be required to put the business above the flood zone on pilings .    Peace and Prayers

It sounds like there are three phases to this project. Phase 1 is just curbside pickup of beer. Phase 2 is a tasting room and food trucks. Phase 3 is a bigger renovation. Depending on how big phase 3 is, would be when they are required to raise the building. 

I have no dog in the fight, and I'd like to see these Treehouse guys make it in Sandwich.  They'll be an asset to Sandwich.  They run a great business.

However if I lived in that area of Sandwich, or was an abutter, the potential crowds would concern me. Those crowds in Charlton are real.  Someone who lives there told me the lines are similar to a rock concert or sporting event.   That's obvious from the photos

If this business goes like many think it will, you might see lines all up and down their road all summer. People will be parking in Seafood Sam's, on ACOE property and walking in., On the Town Neck Beach lot and riding bikes in. They'll have valets, shuttle buses.

This will prove interesting.  On one hand the town has a vested interest in having the business succeed. The tax revenue will be nice.  A lot of local people  will get full and part time jobs. Probably have great food as well. Having a successful year-round business will be an asset to the town.

However the abutters will have to live with the crowds and all the problems that come with them.

These Treehouse guys are sharp, and I'll bet they have deep pockets.  If they're prepared to address the issues, and pony up the money, then good luck to them.

2 hours ago, FoliFish said:

So, they purchased the property in November for $1.27M then submitted their plans along with an independent appraisal at $2M?  The town then bases their approval on THAT information?  LOL

FoliFish it has more to do with all of the equipment they plan to install that determines the level of over all cost, not  only the value of the building in the matter of the federal guidelines for meeting sea level requirements to be placed on Pilings . Some sticky wicker stuff . In one case it may well be a positive for the town , however not so for those living around it. Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

This will prove interesting.  On one hand the town has a vested interest in having the business succeed. The tax revenue will be nice.  A lot of local people  will get full and part time jobs. Probably have great food as well. Having a successful year-round business will be an asset to the town.

However the abutters will have to live with the crowds and all the problems that come with them.

Ah yes, the greater good theory.  That which provides for the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people will generally prevail. 

10 mins ago, Joe G said:

Ah yes, the greater good theory.  That which provides for the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people will generally prevail. 

Yes, I suppose.  

But here's my additional take on it.

The locals have gotten real used to having a non viable business in that building.  Not much business, doesn't generate a lot of traffic, no parking issues.  It's more it less always been like that.

The town would like to see the opposite. They'd like to see a thriving, flourishing business. Generate taxes, provide jobs, good food.  This will attract more people to the area. With the exception of a few abutters, everyone benefits.  The ol "a rising tide raises all boats" theory.

These Treehouse guys come along, with their proven track record and deep pockets.  They look like the right people to make it work.  I think the people should listen to them closely before dismissing them out of hand.

12 hours ago, z-man said:

..... This concern by the neighbors that Tree House isn’t following flood plain rules is idiotic. Do they really want to have an even bigger building towering over their houses?  If they need to tear the structure down and start over they can and the neighbors will be even more pissed. 

.......and this is the unfortunate position the plaintiffs are in.  It's a no-win for them.

My advice to the plaintiffs?  Quit with the best cards you hold.....and those may have already been dealt. 

Unless, they desire a muti-story story building on 10-25 foot pilings adjacent to their home.  

18 mins ago, Bucko said:

Wow...what is in the beer to attract the huge crowds.  As an old guy I just don't get the whole craft beer thing.

The beer is really good but I hate nothing more than waiting in lines for anything so it’s not for me. I have a friend that spends hundreds of dollars a month on their beer. Having to take a shuttle bus then wait in line seems even worse. Where are the shuttle busses going to run from? The canal east end lot, Market Basket?

48 mins ago, Bucko said:

Wow...what is in the beer to attract the huge crowds.  As an old guy I just don't get the whole craft beer thing.

I wonder if the crowds and lines were persist or if it's just the novelty of something new.

Many neighborhoods went through the same problems when pot shops opened. That has worn off and not been a problem after a certain period of time. 

the parking there is minimal, I think a dozen spots may go with the business, the rest are town owned, wether or not they make a deal with beerhouse remains to be seen, I'msure all the out of town blowhards would love the place in their hoods

53 mins ago, z-man said:

The beer is really good but I hate nothing more than waiting in lines for anything so it’s not for me. I have a friend that spends hundreds of dollars a month on their beer. Having to take a shuttle bus then wait in line seems even worse. Where are the shuttle busses going to run from? The canal east end lot, Market Basket?

I can tell ya there's a number of fellas here in NJ I see on the water that make, what they call, a Smokey And the Bandit run up to TH to load up the back of the vehicle and head home.  It's not due to the popularity or that the place is the in thing on the beer scene but because they genuinely love the product.  I hope to try it someday to see what it's all about. 

17 mins ago, fishless said:

I can tell ya there's a number of fellas here in NJ I see on the water that make, what they call, a Smokey And the Bandit run up to TH to load up the back of the vehicle and head home.  It's not due to the popularity or that the place is the in thing on the beer scene but because they genuinely love the product.  I hope to try it someday to see what it's all about. 

The Sandwich location will be perfect for them. They can drive up and fish the canal and grab a case of beer on their way home. It will also be good for people going to the cape for vacation. They can pick up a case on their way by. 

1 min ago, z-man said:

The Sandwich location will be perfect for them. They can drive up and fish the canal and grab a case of beer on their way home. It will also be good for people going to the cape for vacation. They can pick up a case on their way by. 

Well shoot I never visited the canal nor TH.  Maybe now is the time I take a ride up.  Don't worry, I wont bring 100 of my friends and assure you I will be respectful of the location I am visiting.  I'm fully aware of the stigma that comes with telling folks you're from NJ.