How to fix a dent or little scratch on Spool? I accidentally dropped :(

Rate this topic

fishmak

5 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Like Tman said use a 300 or even 400 wet sand paper

300 or 400 may be still too rough.

Use 600 and above

Start with 600, than 800 and finish with 1200

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

15 mins ago, Popasilov said:

300 or 400 may be still too rough.

Use 600 and above

Start with 600, than 800 and finish with 1200

That would depend on the damage. You can always go with a heavier grit so start as high as you like

9 mins ago, Bob C. said:

That would depend on the damage. You can always go with a heavier grit so start as high as you like

You are right

But starting with too heavy grit may make some more damage.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

29 mins ago, Popasilov said:

You are right

But starting with too heavy grit may make some more damage.

highly doubt 3 or 400 wet would damage anything but as I said start with 2000 if you want.

Edited by Bob C.

Its a fishing reel, a few scuffs and bruises won't hurt and thats not even worth a second look. As longs as you can run a Q-tip around it without it getting caught , its god to go. If you fish, you'll have scratches, if you don't want scratches, buy jewelry.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

On 5/2/2021 at 4:32 PM, olvart said:

I’m an old gunsmith in a previous life,haha.

I have many hard (Washita) stones and DMT diamond sharpeners.

Thats where i would start to knock of the proud edges.

Then emery cloth.. 

Its not the end of the world:howdy:

That’s a plan and if you post the video, I’ll watch!

But I’m not buying the tools or going through all of that. Buff/sand it until the q tip or cotton ball is safe or else buy a new spool. But if you go the new spool route, keep in mind you’re bound to do it again if you’re actually fishing around rocks & jetties where the fish tend to congregate.  

(if you have a two speed drill, the higher speed should be enough to get some buffing effect out of the little Dremel cotton bit without needing to invest in a Dremel. )

Take a long screw and place it through the spool and secure it with the mating nut . Then place it in a drill.. Spin the spool while holding a piece of emery cloth against it.. This way the material that you are removing is remove uniformly.. Then just cover the exposed raw metal with a matching color magic marker..

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

Take a long screw and place it through the spool and secure it with the mating nut . Then place it in a drill.. Spin the spool while holding a piece of emery cloth against it.. This way the material that you are removing is remove uniformly.. Then just cover the exposed raw metal with a matching color magic marker..

Great idea! I'll try it with my cheap reel First, Thanks for sharing :)

On 5/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, Local66 said:

I've done the same thing to the same reel. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a 3000sq ft machine shop who owed me a little favor. I still ended up buying a 2nd spool. Removing the dent isn't enough, the surface will have to be polished afterwards. Few have the tools, or the time to do it right. 

That is lucky. I had a shop before I moved down here but apartment living doesn't leave much space for that. 

True though, sandpaper to remove damaged metal and then a thorough polish. A Dremel with a polishing wheel and compound is enough along with sandpaper in a couple grits. I fixed my buddies thunnus this way. Casts really really well now. Didn't take me more than a couple hours to fix.

55 mins ago, RedGreen said:

That is lucky. I had a shop before I moved down here but apartment living doesn't leave much space for that. 

True though, sandpaper to remove damaged metal and then a thorough polish. A Dremel with a polishing wheel and compound is enough along with sandpaper in a couple grits. I fixed my buddies thunnus this way. Casts really really well now. Didn't take me more than a couple hours to fix.

My friend did an amazing job. I have a lathe, but the spool wouldn't fit my jacobs chuck, and Mike makes 5000$ pocket knives. There's probably only a few dozen people on this planet who polish metal with his level of skill and enthusiasm. The spare spool was 150$ for the torque 5, and the time and aggravation that I would have put into fixing it is worth more than that to me.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

On 5/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, fishmak said:

Hi guys! I had accidentally dropped my reel, which caused the Spool has little scratch (When running my finger across I can feel the scratches).

I tried to use very fine sand paper to smooth it out. Can anyone share how will they fix this problem?

Thanks for any inputs!20210429_173454.jpg.2af5cd07595d6c73a6545e9505a803d5.jpg

By the way, here’s a picture of my SSV spool that my kid destroyed. I buffed & polished with a Dremel because it was really bad but I have several reels with much less damage that I simply got the burrs off and got them past the cotton test. 

Braid flies over the lip as long as there’s nothing sharp on it. On the retrieve, there’s no contact with the spool lip at all. A445CF4D-DA85-4B11-B05D-AC768FF4119D.jpeg.f99f5c3b71ebaac5a62acab17c26b49e.jpeg

691C6FAE-E4F6-4317-A197-D8EE0F1F9406.jpeg