albacized

Losing more access? Weweantic River/Rt 6 Bridge

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So, I park at a spot I've been parking at for years - but this time, there are no other cars there, and there were signs on the fence warning that it was private property and that there were surveillance cameras 'watching'. I opted to stay anyway and fished for a couple of hours. No one bothered me....are we losing this spot? 

I was surprised that there were no cars, and the fact that the fishing was slow could have something to do with that - but I can't help but to tie in the signage on the fence to the reason behind no other cars being parked there. 

That makes sense - It was only when I was leaving that I saw another vehicle (SUV w/kayak on the roof) pull in behind me...but they looked towards the fence and left (I'm only guessing they read the sign and opted to leave)

Call the Wareham harbor master.   Nice guy.  He will know the situation.  There is a guy on one of the weweanic back streets that puts up no parking signs on a public water access.  Been doing it for twenty years and he actually calls the cops when people park there 

I thought the State had that land and were making a kayak launch there? I have parked there many times. The neighborhood across rut they are very protective. Don’t even try to park there.

2 hours ago, jhndoe said:

Call the Wareham harbor master.   Nice guy.  He will know the situation.  There is a guy on one of the weweanic back streets that puts up no parking signs on a public water access.  Been doing it for twenty years and he actually calls the cops when people park there 

What a cape/Masshole thing to do... 

And I only wish it was confined to the cape. :beatin:

I think this signage has more to do w liability and dumping concerns. To be fair, illegal dumping is a big problem. Id still fish those areas as long as the parking isnt physically blocked off but id pick my spots and be prepared to have a polite conversation with the local men in blue if they stop by. 

The state was going to purchase the property but they found an in ground fuel tank. The owner was supposed to get rid of it and refused. The state walked away until tank is removed.

You can get great perspective looking at these places on google earth street view.   The place in weweanic is the end of 7th ave.  It’s a public way and public access with stairs.   Good place to launch a kayak but not much else.  Very shallow for a long way out.  

21 hours ago, j-pod said:

The state was going to purchase the property but they found an in ground fuel tank. The owner was supposed to get rid of it and refused. The state walked away until tank is removed.

If i remember right, many years ago, there was a bait and tackle shop there and maybe a launch site.

I’ve been going here for years mostly to grab some blue claws. I’ve always understood it was private but never had an issue as there were rarely more than one car and trash was minimal, occasionally there would be a stinky striper rack thrown there but never seemed to be a reason for the owner to fence it up.

last spring, I pull in, in hopes of finding schoolies but there are 4 cars and about 7 young guys n gals. Smoking, drinking and holding fishing rods. They were not loud or overly obnoxious but the amount of alcohol trash seemed to spike dramatically. Next time I showed up, fence and signs posted... sucks

what about "adverse possession"  In Mass.  i believe if it has been used without not trespass signage for 20 years or more,  it might be subject to Mass Law about just that. I don't know how long it has been in use as a "public access fishing spot"

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-law-about-adverse-possession

What makes you think permission was granted.

Title by adverse possession can be acquired only by proof of nonpermissive use which is actual, open, notorious, exclusive, and adverse for twenty years.