stormy monday

Wader question

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I've been in a lot of training classes where they say "there are no stupid questions", I'll now prove that to be wrong. I was gifted some Orvis stockingfoot waders, they look barely used. The booties are made of neoprene and I find that when I get out of the water my socks and pants are soaked right to the level of the booties. No residual water in the waders though. My question is are these supposed to have some type of membrane like Sealskins? It seems like over the course of an hour or so water just penetrates. I'm just using my Sealskin socks with them now, but curious if this is normal? Obviously I've never had stockingfoot waders before lol... Thanks!

You have leaks.  Your feet should stay dry.  You should check the areas where the stocking foot meets the wader.  Fill them with water and see where the leaks are and go from there. 

Stormy,

No - not normal.

It sounds as though the legs have a leak and it's running down into your booties.

When dry - turn the waders inside out and spray one side with alcohol.

After a short time, the pinholes will show up as dark spots.

You can repair the holes by just smearing some Aquaseal on the holes.

Or - you can patch them with factory fabric and Aquaseal.

Do same on other side.

Herb 

That too.  Sounds like something to do with where the booties meet the waders.  Especially if both feet are filling with water.

Thanks! Herb I'll try that tomorrow. The seams looked perfect but I didn't look inside. Just happened to buy a new bottle of isopropyl so now I have a good use for it!

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal--Orvis and LL Bean waders take on some water immediately, and continue to leak progressively more over time. Eventually you will get a little pool of water up to your knees that you can squelch around in. It's how they are designed.

5 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal--Orvis and LL Bean waders take on some water immediately, and continue to leak progressively more over time. Eventually you will get a little pool of water up to your knees that you can squelch around in. It's how they are designed.

???

Is this sarcasm?  I don't have either Orvis or LL Beans.  Seems to me that would defeat the purpose of waders and make them crappy ill-designed wetsuits. Glad I don't have those brands........

22 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

???

Is this sarcasm?  I don't have either Orvis or LL Beans.  Seems to me that would defeat the purpose of waders and make them crappy ill-designed wetsuits. Glad I don't have those brands........

It should be sarcasm, but in reality their lower-end waders leak with such remarkable consistency that it must be a feature and not a flaw.

Did a first round of aquaseal in some really obvious spots. Major improvement but not done yet. Seam tape looks like a 40 year old dry suit so I'll be working on that too. Fortunately it's summer so no biggie. I had some old, old Redington wading shoes that fell apart on use, for a temp fix I tool an old pair of hiking shoes and shoegooed (new verb) some scotchbrite pads to the soles. It actually worked real well, saved the trip although the pads fall apart pretty fast. Makes me appreciate my bootfoot waders!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The third rule of fishing is.....all waders leak eventually.  But that is especially true of stockingfoot waders.   In my experience the most common leak site is not the neoprene stocking to wader junction but the seams down along the foot section and the crotch.  Now, this might be because of two factors unique to me.  1) because I have very wide feet and no neoprene standard "sock" is going to fit exactly well and therefore the stocking is always crammed into the wading boot with creases.  That, and the shifting whole body pressures while walking tug on the stitched-glued seams under/along the feet and they start to seep.  And 2)  I am a cheapskate so I have never bought a really high end wader.  But then, any of my friends who have report they get, at most, 3-4 seasons out of their high-enders, while I usually get 1-2 seasons out of my cheapos......and my cheapos cost about a third of the high-enders.  Sooooo...... For the money spent on a high-end, I can buy three cheapos, pull out the next one when I start having a bothersome seep, and have dry feet for longer.

I suspect that ones body shape/weight and the resulting fit (or dis-fit) with waders may have a lot to do with where leaks begin depending on the walking stresses.  But, if one insists upon wearing them and walking, stitch-glued neoprene is going to start seeping.  Gluing the leaks always works.....for a trip to two.

The only stockingfoot wader that this is not true of is the old, rubber, Seal-drys.  NO SEAMS!  Very light.  Didn't breathe a whisper, of course, and if you snagged them and pulled hard enough, you could rip the whole leg off.  Ask me how I know.   Especially bothersome if that happens on the first day of a 10 day float trip on the Deschutes and all you have is glue.  Ever tried to glue a whole leg back on?   But the real delight is having to climb through a blackberry patch to get to or from the river.  The result, with Seal-drys, was always a minimum of 50 to 250 pinhole leaks randomly around the body.  Hey....and I'm giving this information away for free!  I don't know why they stopped making them.  Walking, anywhere except through blackberry patches, NEVER cause leaks.  No seams!

In truth, I get longer life these days out of bootfoot waders....low end of course.  The only drawback is that it is hard to get good grippy soles/cleats/etc. on the low end booties.  But hey, when it comes to a choice between soggy feet and a skull fracture....it's not even close.

Your friend sounds like a gear fisherman

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Throw them out and go get some waders from LLBean. They'll leak soon enough but you can return them (within a year) and get fresh waders. I go through four or five pairs a season due to sand wearing holes in the booties, even though I have sand guards.

That way you'll only ever need to buy one pair. Quality in all waders I've tried sucks. I refuse to buy SIMMS at $ 700.00 a pair.

In a dark room put a flashlight in the wader legs. Light will show thru the leaks. Easier than filling with water.