65 Sea James

Cleaning rust of of Clam Rakes

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, 65 Sea James said:

Hi All,

I currently have these Virginia style clam rakes that are pretty old with a lot of rust on them. 
In order to extend their life, I am planning on removing all of the rust and then paint them with the black protective enamel paint from rustoleam. 
I was planning on sandblasting the rust off, but am concerned that the blasting will completely blow right through the metal since the metal is pretty thin.

Any comments on what is the best method of removing rust for clam rakes?

Image below shows a bunch of the rusty clam rakes.

0523455E-B5A9-40A8-9301-639BC24BE5A5.jpeg

Use vinegar. Get enough to fill up the the bottom of maybe a plastic garbage can and soak them for a day or two. It will blow the rust right off of them. Any residue will come off with Scotchbrite pad. Painting them is a waste of time, you're going to be dragging them through sand.

Vinegar for 24-48 hours. 

9 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Use vinegar. Get enough to fill up the the bottom of maybe a plastic garbage can and soak them for a day or two. It will blow the rust right off of them. Any residue will come off with Scotchbrite pad. Painting them is a waste of time, you're going to be dragging them through sand.

Vinegar for 24-48 hours. 

I heard regular coke will do the same.

1 hour ago, shbeachbum said:

I heard regular coke will do the same.

...and attract yellow jackets and ants and flies and every other insect and varmint. The vinegar on the other hand attacks nothing and can be reused on the next rusty thing. "WokaCola" isn't good for much these days.