MattieG

Anyone else get their $2 in cash from NOAA?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

57 mins ago, MattieG said:

Just got my mail. Hadn’t heard anyone else getting these yet. Boy oh boy a whole $2 free from The Gov! I’m off to buy a Snickers bar!  

4FD42E3B-E960-4616-AEA2-E669707D0B84.jpeg

In Hawaii we got those things months ago.  Respond, and lie like hell.

41 mins ago, hydraman said:

Why send people 2 dollars. Dumbest chit ever. 

Apparently that’s what they believe my time is worth to fill out their survey.

Maybe if I up their offer and mail them $4, they’ll agree to never mail me anything ever again? 

They sent you $2 cash in the mail?

While a check would be even more ridiculous, how do they account for this money?

Is there some NOAA employee drawing $10,000 in ones from a government account somewhere? Who verifies the cash is actually in the envelope when it is licked and sealed? Who verifies the envelope is actually deposited in the mail box?

If they are following governmental accounting policy, they are going to pay 5x more in wages for oversight of the cash than the actual cash payed out.

3 hours ago, wok167 said:

They sent you $2 cash in the mail?

While a check would be even more ridiculous, how do they account for this money?

Is there some NOAA employee drawing $10,000 in ones from a government account somewhere? Who verifies the cash is actually in the envelope when it is licked and sealed? Who verifies the envelope is actually deposited in the mail box?

If they are following governmental accounting policy, they are going to pay 5x more in wages for oversight of the cash than the actual cash payed out.

I thought the same.

When I opened the envelope, and began to read the letter I posted the picture of, out fell the $2 on my floor. I was like what the heck, picked the crisp bills off the floor, and began to read the rest of the letter explaining the enclosed 2 bux. 

I wonder how many of these go out throughout the country. Searching google showed various people around the country getting these surveys. I hadn’t seen anything about them posted here tho, so this was new to me. Government wasted tax dollars as usual, and the fact my time is worth more than the price of a candy bar.

It is not NOAA giving you the money directly, it is through their contractor, RTI International.  I'm sure it is part of RTI's NOAA budget. 

Wish I had kept a copy because it was an interesting survey.  It seemed like they were trying to quantify how much saltwater fishing is shore-based.

It would also be interesting to know how they target fishermen with their name and mailing address.  Seems like they must have access to either, 1) addresses from some mail-order fishing supply company or 2) addresses from the state boaters registration office.

Edited by oc1

I guess politicians are so used to accepting money for being asked to do something it comes natural. The amount just reflects what they think of us. Source of information I'm guessing is salt water registry.

31 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I guess politicians are so used to accepting money for being asked to do something it comes natural. The amount just reflects what they think of us. Source of information I'm guessing is salt water registry.

We don't have saltwater registry and I've never bought a fishing license of any sort.

Ever get surveyed when returning from a trip? If not it would be interesting to find out how they found you, credit card fishing purchase, magazine subscriptions who knows.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, hydraman said:

Why send people 2 dollars. Dumbest chit ever. 

Believe it or not, there was a study done to determine what amount would represent the sweet spot that optimized response while minimizing expense.

It turns out that $2 results in more responses than lesser amounts, but that raising the payment beyond that does not materially improve the number of responses received.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:34 AM, oc1 said:

It would also be interesting to know how they target fishermen with their name and mailing address.  Seems like they must have access to either, 1) addresses from some mail-order fishing supply company or 2) addresses from the state boaters registration office.

No big mystery here.  The questionnaire is part of the Marine Recreational Information Program's Fishing Effort Survey.  You can read about it here:  https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/recreational-fishing-data/effort-survey-improvements

In the old MRFSS, effort was determined by random calls to households in coastal counties.  A National Academy of Science panel convened, if i remember correctly, in 2005 found that methodology ineffective; the current Fishing Effort Survey, in which questionnaires are sent to addresses derived from a two-frame process--one "frame" being angler licenses/registrations, the other a random list of coastal households designed to pick up unlicensed anglers.  The FES is much sounder, from a statistical standpoint, and received a green light from another National Academy panel in 2017.

The FES is used to determine the number of recreational trips taken in the various modes, during each wave in most coastal states.  That information is combined with the data gathered in angler intercept surveys to derive estimates of recreational catch and landings.

Edited by CWitek