jjdbike

Smoked trout please: How to, how to serve etc..

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I've been having a blast catching local stockies, almost all rainbows. They've all been filleted, skinned, soaked in iced brine, pated dry and vacuum packed. Now in the deep freezer. I want to smoke some. I'd love some advice on how to smoke them (on BGE) and how to serve them please.

Smoking questions:

Brine - marinade recipes? 

Type of wood?

Time & Temp on smoker?

How to serve them? 

A lot of questions I know, I'm hoping to get schooled here please.

Thanks in advance!

JD

On 5/1/2021 at 7:36 AM, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

I've been having a blast catching local stockies, almost all rainbows. They've all been filleted, skinned, soaked in iced brine, pated dry and vacuum packed. Now in the deep freezer. I want to smoke some. I'd love some advice on how to smoke them (on BGE) and how to serve them please.

Smoking questions:

Brine - marinade recipes? 

Type of wood?

Time & Temp on smoker?

How to serve them? 

A lot of questions I know, I'm hoping to get schooled here please.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Anyone?

JD

Google smoking meat forums.

But for stockies  10 to 14 inches you would do better to smoke whole. Fillets better on large fish candied & smoked.

Pan fry, grill, broil, or bread & deep fry small fillets.

1 hour ago, SB59 said:

Google smoking meat forums.

But for stockies  10 to 14 inches you would do better to smoke whole. Fillets better on large fish candied & smoked.

Pan fry, grill, broil, or bread & deep fry small fillets.

Thanks,

Are there adjustments tat can be made to accommodate the smaller filleted stockers?

JD  

They will simply cook so fast they won't get much from the smoke. If you go cooler to get more smoke then they will end up too dry. 

Smoked trout is delish, simple brine with salt and brown sugar 8-12 hours. Pull fish from brine a couple hours before you plan on smoking and let it dry out and form a pellicle to hold onto smoke. Smoke around 225-250 for an 1.5-2 hours. If you start to see white protein oozing you are over cooking it. I'll do a big batch and make rilletes with what ever I can't eat in a day or two. If kept covered in fat the rilletes keep in the fridge for months.

13 hours ago, SB59 said:

They will simply cook so fast they won't get much from the smoke. If you go cooler to get more smoke then they will end up too dry. 

Thanks.

Makes sense but I still wanna  try.

9 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Smoked trout is delish, simple brine with salt and brown sugar 8-12 hours. Pull fish from brine a couple hours before you plan on smoking and let it dry out and form a pellicle to hold onto smoke. Smoke around 225-250 for an 1.5-2 hours. If you start to see white protein oozing you are over cooking it. I'll do a big batch and make rilletes with what ever I can't eat in a day or two. If kept covered in fat the rilletes keep in the fridge for months.

Nice!

Rilleyes!!! I always called it pate. 
Def gonna do that!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Seems hot to me, I smoke fish at 180.  I smoked some tog fillets last fall and they got a bit dry, next time I'm thinking of doing a cold smoke, or at least partial cold, like 3 hr cold and 1 hot.

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Seems hot to me, I smoke fish at 180.  I smoked some tog fillets last fall and they got a bit dry, next time I'm thinking of doing a cold smoke, or at least partial cold, like 3 hr cold and 1 hot.

180 would be better, I have a Weber kettle so it's hard for me to keep it that low but I still get pretty good results. Letting the pellicle form is the most important step IMO.

17 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

180 would be better, I have a Weber kettle so it's hard for me to keep it that low but I still get pretty good results. Letting the pellicle form is the most important step IMO.

Electrics get crapped on by the purists, but they hold temp very well, especially low temp.

18 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Thanks again for this. I'd never heard it called "rilles", just pate. Looked up some recipes and it looks delicious.

My questions is, does it really keep for months? The recipes I saw said "... keeps in refrigerator for up to 5 days".

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

Electrics get crapped on by the purists, but they hold temp very well, especially low temp.

I wish I had an electric smoker. I couldn't imagine keeping my egg at 180. 225 is hard enough. I'd have to lift a tiny fire.

This may be a dumb question.... How will I know when my smoked trout is done? Again, they're small 12" + stocker fillets. 

May I assume you do a dry brine?

JD

Done when they flake. won't take long if you can only get down to 225. If you go too long worst you'll have is trout jerky. Serious smokers keep a log on spice amts. & cook times > temps. for diff. meats, fish types & sizes for reference.

Vacuum seal & fridge will stretch keep time. Never cared for quality loss of frozen smoked fish. The drier you make the product the longer it will keep. Jerky will keep quite a while vacuum sealed & fridged.

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

My questions is, does it really keep for months?

Make sure to use a sanitized jar and cover the top with bacon fat. You can keep anything that way and it will continue to improve with age. In my house they rarely last more than a couple weeks because they get eaten.

A97B820F-4743-423B-ABDC-917C0BF2E466.jpeg.c4d2e0fb1a4b7933543a36b793d0f196.jpegEA4AC11E-DD5E-46B1-9B2A-0D40099A30A8.jpeg.f07d3b18051b02b2d33d5f06f1394668.jpegdid it a bunch of times, used it a bunch of different ways....found it wasn't worth the effort (stockies specifically)

6 hours ago, SB59 said:

Done when they flake. won't take long if you can only get down to 225. If you go too long worst you'll have is trout jerky. Serious smokers keep a log on spice amts. & cook times > temps. for diff. meats, fish types & sizes for reference.

Vacuum seal & fridge will stretch keep time. Never cared for quality loss of frozen smoked fish. The drier you make the product the longer it will keep. Jerky will keep quite a while vacuum sealed & fridged.

Nice,

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Make sure to use a sanitized jar and cover the top with bacon fat. You can keep anything that way and it will continue to improve with age. In my house they rarely last more than a couple weeks because they get eaten.

Oh my, I’ve never heard of this.

Thanks
JD