luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2021

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

Marcus_big_blackie_1.jpg.734752635eaef17351350baddd61667e.jpg

What a slob!! Are they dead weight or put up a fight when coming in.. Haven't caught one that big.

1 hour ago, 7nBait said:

What a slob!! Are they dead weight or put up a fight when coming in.. Haven't caught one that big.

I remember how astonished I was when I came across this pic years ago looking at old threads and posts. Was that at Wallops? Would love to hear the back story on that beast.

8 hours ago, luckyOC said:

The current slot will be hard to fill, in both Va and MD.  Most of the fish i have seen and heard of in the last few years are right outside of the slot...  On the ocean side.

Yeah I'm talking about say a slot of 20-28" range (or pick a number range smaller than the 28-36", I don't know what MD slot is), so some thing more like reds slot size.  

I do agree that the current slot is hard to fill on the coastal side of things

Due to our declining fisherie, it’s not worth it for me to hit AI. in the spring anymore. Too much prep for a 7 - 12 day stay, too much dead sea (no fish), too much travel, 700 mi. round trip, too much to do around here. :( 

No fish is really the reason!

... but I do miss my beach pals!

Still would like to see some “current” pics of the big ol girls, just to know they still exist. 

We still have September/October :) 

2 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Due to our declining fisherie, it’s not worth it for me to hit AI. in the spring anymore.

Yep, starting to think like that.  So sad. 

4 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Due to our declining fisherie, it’s not worth it for me to hit AI. in the spring anymore. Too much prep for a 7 - 12 day stay, too much dead sea (no fish), too much travel, 700 mi. round trip, too much to do around here. :( 

No fish is really the reason!

... but I do miss my beach pals!

Still would like to see some “current” pics of the big ol girls, just to know they still exist. 

We still have September/October :) 

Well we still have some of the beach in September. Are we gonna get the turtle closure again this year? That was a good chunk of September and first part of October last year!

Another hot bite Saturday evening! This New Drum fights like a real drum on a 4 footer swells. Longer or short casts produce outstanding results with frozen fleas. I lost count and stopped counting. We were waiting for the rocket launch but was postponed Sunday night. Took home with couple pair of drum wings and it tasted like chicken. Blanch the skin then placed in a pot with vinegar, soy sauce and lemon juice then simmered till tender. Can be served with steaming rice and butter sautéed mushroom.

Beautiful day after the rain in AI. May the fish be with you all!

3F57C69F-2E88-495A-9F64-29BD40178EFC.jpeg

98FC964C-0E43-48F4-AD98-C2FFAB6F109D.jpeg

IMO fish are there, you just need to fish hard.  Maybe a school will come by and maybe it won't but usually you have to work for it anyway.  I have fished lean years and plentiful years and caught in both.

Not fishing because you don't see good reports on the internet doesn't make sense to me.  

Stripers are just starting to show up. But the last couple years have been terrible. At least the Black Drum are doing ok. The bio-mass has been decreasing every year. But lets hope there is a rebound on the stripers this year. Good luck to those trying this spring.  Not gonna target them this spring and opting to go after the brown guy a little south. :clown:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Big bluefish haven't made a showing on the beaches in any number in the spring and fall for what....almost 40 years? ( My last catch of a slammer blue was a spring straggler at the OBX in May  2015 ). Striped Bass made a comback from the 80's moratorium in the early 2000's...but now their numbers have plummeted. I know these things run in cycles ( anybody remember the run of huge croakers in the mid 90's? )....but I'm wondering if it's not the numbers of these fish that are way down...must be their migratory patterns are changing.

20170515_092031.jpg

Edited by dixiekraut

Read a post online recently that the striped bass index of 2015 was a good year...those fish are 5-6 years old now...maybe we will start  seeing a decent number of 24-26" five to six pound fish ....if we're lucky. But methinks it's going to be a long climb back to where we were in 2000-2006.

1 hour ago, dixiekraut said:

Big bluefish haven't made a showing on the beaches in any number in the spring and fall for what....almost 40 years? ( My last catch of a slammer blue was a spring straggler at the OBX in May  2015 ). Striped Bass made a comback from the 80's moratorium in the early 2000's...but now their numbers have plummeted. I know these things run in cycles ( anybody remember the run of huge croakers in the mid 90's? )....but I'm wondering if it's not the numbers of these fish that are way down...must be their migratory patterns are changing.

20170515_092031.jpg

Croaker....  Back then we wouldn't even think about keeping one under about 15 inches.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I read that only 35 percent of stripers that stay in the Chesapeake during the summer survive, while 67 percent that migrate to the ocean survive.  Could be a result of the extremely poor Bay water quality, coupled with the excessive permitted creel sizes and limits, as the fisheries managers pander to the charter fleet.

I think short term $conomics is driving public policy, not what's best for the species.  

Very disappointed.

Edited by Steve Coleman