luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2021

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Water temp is great. 52 to 55. Just Ocean is dirty from blow.  Skates love it though. Threw everything and they hit hit all.........          Again skate everywhere in AI. But have never seen a a Ray this size in early May. Hope all gets back to normal soon!

Fished AI/VA on Friday and Saturday, got sandblasted Friday @ 7:00 PM.  Went over to AI/MD on Sunday.  Lots of Skates, one Spiny Dog Fish. I'll be cleaning my gear (and Jeep) for a week to get the sand out from all the wind.  Heading back to AI/VA north side looking for a Striper from the surf on Tuesday 5/11.  Red Jeep, feel free to stop by and say hello.

47 mins ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Fished AI/VA on Friday and Saturday, got sandblasted Friday @ 7:00 PM.  Went over to AI/MD on Sunday.  Lots of Skates, one Spiny Dog Fish. I'll be cleaning my gear (and Jeep) for a week to get the sand out from all the wind.  Heading back to AI/VA north side looking for a Striper from the surf on Tuesday 5/11.  Red Jeep, feel free to stop by and say hello.

Changing next week to AI/MD, looks like VA Striper season doesn't open until May 16 for Shore Fishing.

Was at 3R's bright and early today. Several skate but also pulled these in. Help a newbie with ID. Are they both spiny dogfish or is one smooth? 

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

3 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Was at 3R's bright and early today. Several skate but also pulled these in. Help a newbie with ID. Are they both spiny dogfish or is one smooth? 

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

I’m no shark expert but those look like 2 different shark species. Pictures of the tails would also help. 
I found this pic on the web by punching in Delaware sharks. 

B8E6A911-B191-41D1-B45A-66B0AAEC5E46.png

On 5/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, Frank2104 said:

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

The is a Spiny dogfish, note the spines on the bases of the top two fins.

Bottom is a smooth dogfish.

thanks feesh .....I think I got lucky then. Never noticed those spines! These were the first real catches for me in several decades! The spiny one threw the hook as it came out of the wash so handling was minimal. From what I've read they can be a nasty stab!

Need to wake up and start thinking about these things!

Hi All.

I will be coming to AINS camping with my wife next week into the following week . I do not like the CRAPPY fishing reports . I know it is early in the season but it is going to change next week .............. There I have said it .. So it shall be done .:howdy:

11 hours ago, Mr Assateague said:

Hi All.

I will be coming to AINS camping with my wife next week into the following week . I do not like the CRAPPY fishing reports . I know it is early in the season but it is going to change next week .............. There I have said it .. So it shall be done .:howdy:

You might be hitting it just right. I was out there at AIVA  Easter Sunday and had nary a bite...just missed the first black drum run of March 30-31. Then I was back at work when the second black drum run happened April 8-9. Since then it seems to have been a run of skates and dogs. Something tells me as the surf temp gradually warms to the high 50s maybe things will cut loose and you'll get a visit from the creatures in the striped suits.

Maryland side out front.. Thurs. to Friday at noon. A few skates on cut bait and small stripers on bloodworms. Nice to meet Dave Sharkman and his buddy on the way out. 

baby striper.jpg