Bigred78

More wind the usual this year?

18 posts in this topic

I’ve only been doing this a few years so I’m wondering if it’s just been a bad year. It seems like almost every night in mom oh that’s county it has been gusting over 20 knots. I’ve been using windy. Is this just a bad year? I don’t remeber it being that bad last year

Same here.  I try to pick days the wind app says will be 5-10 max and end up with 10mph sustained and long gusts 15-20. I'm newer to this so maybe it's normal.

As a fly fisherman, I've been saying this for over a decade.  NOAA data shows that Northeast Coast (southern tip of NJ to Canada) has the strongest winds in the country.  Add increasing climate chaos and we can expect it to get worse year-over-year.   

I've been running a personal weather station for a long time at my house.  It's been gathering data that I have historical weather for the last 15 years easy and for my area which is a stones throw from Raritan Bay the winds are all typical in how they plot out.  Much like if you go to Florida in March you will likely experience more wind there than other months the same can be said for our region in April/May and then my graph do the same through late November - late January.    What I can say for sure it wind gusts have increased.  I am more frequently hitting 50-55 mph at the house now and that is not normal but the average wind speeds are pretty close year over year.  

Now...Personally speaking I've found the weather didn't always co-operate on the days I wanted to fish and maybe it's this is what everyone is picking up on vs it being 'more windy than usual".  My weather graphs don't really support that -- my thoughts are it's just me picking windy days to fish or only happen to have time off on windy days.  

No.

The winds have been typical.

Maybe a touch more "Not from the souf" 

I recall a year when we had 47 straight days of south winds from april on.

ocean temps were chilly.

I think it was 2010

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

No.

The winds have been typical.

Maybe a touch more "Not from the souf" 

I recall a year when we had 47 straight days of south winds from april on.

ocean temps were chilly.

I think it was 2010

We get up welled too up here. I remember early 2000's of relentless SW wind for 10 days knocked our water temps in July to 44 inshore. I thought the sounder was broke. 4 days of easterly brought it right back to 65. 

Try throwing in the NYC heat island effect if you want real misery. The Harbor gets a S wind blasting in the Verrazano 95% of the time. A big reason I bought a sail.

post-15110-0-30731000-1468698070.pngpost-15110-0-20578300-1461080929.png

The wind storm we just had in Plymouth County was pretty ferocious a 

couple of nights ago.   It was amazing that we didn't lose power.

I had my Hobie out from it's winter home from the basement and it got

tossed.   I had never had a yak get tossed like that before.  It looked like 

a couple of guys took it for a joyride.  

Hopefully the steering didn't get effed up.  

I already have to deal with a crack in the hull to test against for the first sea trial run 

in the salt next week.   I'll be in a back bay scenario and will be close to 

shoreline if I need to land her.  

Yeah ...it seems very windy.  

It's always been a transitional period from Spring to Summer.

Yup, spring in windy.  It does seem like there haven't been very many nights that have been optimal for kayak fishing this spring, I've fished more during the day this year.   

I agree that is tough if you can fish on weekends only...but I believe that this year was better than 2020 where 3 weeks in the row in April were windy so the fishing was not enjoyable or you could not fish at all. I use 2 apps on my phone comparing their forecasts and they have been pretty good. My experience that the forecast is more often predicting worse conditions compared to what I saw out there than the other way around.