Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 1 - May 14

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is one of the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Welcome back to another fishing season and the start of the weekly RI Fish Reports.

I've already launched and splashed the boat once and caught three small schoolies in an around the boat ramp.

As usual for the past three or four years, the last half of spring has been cold and windy.

We found plenty of jelly fish, but lack of bait fish in the shallows.

We ventured out into the upper bay, saw or caught nothing. Perhaps it was just the day.

It was calm and flat, but coming off a good high tide.

17 hours ago, BadMojo said:

Plenty of fish around!

Yesir

Log- 

4/19 first fish

4/21 first slot (29” hold-over)

4/22 first fresh fish (ugly and lice-ridden) 

4/23 32”,34”  (clean fish, but did have a few lice.. not entirely convinced it wasn’t a holdover.)

there out there though.. just gotta put on some extra layers... this wind sucks... 

384B75C0-1A6A-44D8-A35D-22A16048CB67.jpeg

91B8E839-D2DC-47D0-9F26-8321A7FFC06B.jpeg

BC56A420-E7BA-4378-B8B3-306C3514E285.jpeg

... very observant you are...  (decrepit laces, impossible to deal with in the dark... not muddy, so wasn’t too worried about it)  that, however, was probably the least of my problems out there... gets pretty messy during the wee hours of soletry fish confinement :wee: 

... waders that hold in more

water then they hold out.... 

... jerry rigged rod 

... treble in a couple of fingers...7-o in the calf... 

.... broken buckle of the plug bag (hence the swim-bait hangin off my chest) 

....boarder-line-hypothermia, extreme sleep deprivation, and probably some minor dehydration,... 

and it’s only the second day of May...

...It’s gonna be a good year! :howdy:

Tog fishing was solid the last two days. Saw multiple limits the past two days. Same group of guys both days lol you either skunked, got dinks or all keepers. Weird day today. Got to test my weapon jr with 6lb braid for togs in current and the water gods approved. 6lb braid is enough to catch tog

On 5/1/2021 at 9:44 PM, Kima said:

Caught a bluefish today and saw 2 others come in. Your plastics aren't safe.

super early, my first was may 21 last year early spotting of bunker compared to last year too 

Outside is cold and Windy, better off fishing inside and pick your spot. Stripers are around but very scattered. Tog bites were so so. Scups are around.....

Weird day.

1 hour ago, noahialongo said:

super early, my first was may 21 last year early spotting of bunker compared to last year too 

Bunker never left this year, They’ve been in the rivers all winter, 

I heard about this but never really saw for myself. Last year I got on a really nice juvenile sand eel bite starting around this time, it abruptly ended when pogies came in skinny waters, wondering if these will coincide this year or no sand eels at all?

Edited by noahialongo
typo